DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

netapp_ontap probe rule

• 1.  netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted Mar 15, 2018 11:27 AM

The docs have a beg information on how to use filter rules. We would like to exclude certain aggregates or components from being monitored since we know is not changing and no action will be taken on these alarms we would like to filter them out.

This is an example name. how can I use rules to filter out this alarms? 

aggr0_controllerName01_01

• 2.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted Mar 15, 2018 02:10 PM

Hello Cesar,

This other thread may help you about NAS Alarms, Filtering, AO, etc:

Is there a Lua method to exclude an alarm?

Note: The correct place for UIM Community is:

https://communities.ca.com/community/unified-infrastructure-management/content?query=nas+filter&start=20 

More parallell info about NAS rules:

https://communities.ca.com/thread/241773611-nas-probe-ao-rules-execution-logic
    https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231175393-tech-tip-uim-enriching-nas-ao-alarms

Kind Regards,

Alex Yasuda
    Sr. Support Engineer

• 3.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted Mar 15, 2018 02:56 PM

Thank you for your response Alex. NAS option will not work for us for some internal reason and processes.

We like to use some type of filtering to exclude those objects. 

• 4.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 03, 2018 10:19 AM

moved this thread to the UIM community CA Unified Infrastructure Management

Cesar, make sure you are following that community as well  - thanks, 

• 5.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 03, 2018 01:19 PM

Hi cesar.abrego

Have you tried the filtering capability in the templates? You can use this to eliminate or only include items that you want to monitor. It supports regular expressions so you should be able to include/exclude the ones you want and the ones you do not. It also allows you to create different filters in the same template and change the priority levels so that you can apply different monitoring to different devices based on the filter.

Hope this helps.

Reference: netapp_ontap Configure Monitoring with Templates - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documen… 

• 6.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 03, 2018 01:28 PM

If you are referring to the filter for monitors that are part of a template, I'm aware of that function but my question is more to 'exclude' monitor for certain volumes by name. For example, the root volume on all controllers does not need to be monitored for free space/space used because will never grow compared to other volumes. So I would like to filter 'vol_root' that monitor. makes sense? 

• 7.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 03, 2018 01:56 PM

You could exclude it via regular expressions but my regular expressions are not strong enough to pull that off. Instead you could create a filter that included the ones you did NOT want to monitor. Then make that filter a higher priority than the original filter. In this new filter I disable the alarms. In short you are applying a no alarm monitor in the filter that includes the ones you do not want to monitor and it should be the one in effect based on the priority. The original filter would be enabled for monitoring everything else.

In short 2 filters

1. Has a no alarm monitoring policy and applied to the do not monitor aggregates
    2. Has your desired monitoring policy and applied to the ones you want to monitor

• 8.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 03, 2018 02:47 PM

Perhaps

netApp Ontap Factory Template > copy > Resource/Auto Filter/Aggregates/Aggregates Monitors/Auto Filter > new

Label

Condition: Not Equals

Value aggr0_controllerName01_01

• 9.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 09, 2018 01:48 PM

thank you both, this is great information. I'm fairly new to UIM so I'm still learning some of the intricacies of the app. 

So if I understand correctly I would do the following:

1. Create a 'filtering template' without any alarming enabled. add the labels to filter such as "Label | condition=NotEquals | value=aggre0_name_xx. This template will have a higher number such as '0' so it applies first. how do I do 'Is not Like' condition?

2. Create a 'monitoring' template that would hold my thresholds for monitoring and give a lower number such as '1'

I have a couple of other questions on the same topic.

How can I change thresholds only for a specific LUNs name similar: myLUN*_ threshold=99% used.

Going back to the filtering: how can exclude with RegEx: for example, all aggr that start with 'dr*' exclude from monitoring. I know I would add it to the filtering template but not sure how the RegEx would look like. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 10.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 09, 2018 05:46 PM

It may be possible to have one template take care of multiple things. My above mentioned filter can be added to a template to exclude those aggregates and other parts of the template can be still be used for other things.

The way to check the results is to check the individual items in the profile and when selected they will show if they are set via a template and manual configuration changes will be disabled.

Filtering for things like specific LUNs can get tricky especially if the same LUN name shows up under multiple profiles. In that case a different template per profile is needed, first filter at the Resource/Auto Filter level to identify the profile.

The reality of this is that a lot depends upon the specific instance which makes it very hard to give specific examples.

As for help on regex, my experience is very limited but here are a couple resources:

REGEX: Part 1 - The Basics - CA Knowledge 

Pattern (Java Platform SE 7 ) 

• 11.  Re: netapp_ontap probe rule

Posted May 09, 2018 05:58 PM

Dave, thank you for your answer and time. I will do some testing based on what you have provided. 

Again, I really appreciate your help.