Service Operations Insight

• 1.  Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted Mar 19, 2018 05:43 AM

Arcserve RHA was covered in the SOI 4.0 SP2 documentation but has been dropped from the non-clusters HA topic in the SOI 4.2 documentation. I guess this is because CA are aiming to provide a proprietary HA/DR solution going forward, me thinks? As I understand a full flown proprietary HA solution is someway off but a start has been made by decoupling AMQ.  I would not think that this way forward would predicate using Arcserve RHA in the interim as it is independent and could be used until a full blown proprietary HA/DR solution  is available. 

The removal from the SOI 4.2 docs could just be down to the fact that when SOI 4.0 came out Arcserve RHA was owned by CA and was called CA Arcserve RHA;  as CA divested Arcserve in 2014, I'm assuming this topic has inadvertently been removed 

• 2.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted Mar 19, 2018 04:58 PM

I'm also curious about this same subject. We did have CA Arcserve RHA to provide a method of SOI failover from one data center to another.  It was never a high availability solution.  The time required for initializations to complete was a big issue.  Unfortunately it turned out to be just a disaster recovery solution.  An ideal HA solution would be one that works more like CA Spectrums fault tolerant configuration where a failover is quick.

• 3.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted Mar 29, 2018 04:11 AM

Can Product Management comment on this ?

• 4.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:13 AM

Is it possible for someone from CA to comment on this from a vendor's perspective ?

• 5.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:22 AM

Hello John,

The Arcserve RHA is not supported any more, currently it supports only HA through MS Cluster.

I will check with Product Mgmt team and get back to you asap.

Regards

Brahma

• 6.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted May 01, 2018 10:35 AM

• 7.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:42 AM

That is not good, so you have no solution (supported or not) available for a non MSCS environment  

I would expect it to function the same way and be able to use the existing xos scripts (if not slightly modified) to work with the non-CA branded Arcserve - it's function is to provide replication and high availability for any third-party application.   

I get what you are saying that CA would not support it directly as CA no longer owns Arcserve, but surely you would recommend or endorse it as a solution ????

• 8.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted May 01, 2018 10:07 AM

Does anyone from Product Management have anything to add,  I would have expected a response by now, even if you do not endorse Arcserve I would expect a few recommended alternatives    

• 9.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted May 02, 2018 06:48 AM

MS cluster is recommended with SOI 4.2.

Regards,

Saket

• 10.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted May 02, 2018 06:56 AM

But what if this company's policy is not to use MSCS ?

• 11.  Re: Has the Arcserve RHA HA/DR option been dropped or not ?

Posted May 02, 2018 10:35 AM

As part of next generation SOI i.e. Digital OI, we have remove the dependency for MS cluster as well.