Symantec Access Management

• 1.  KPIs for SSO

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2018 10:33 AM

Does anybody ever used KPIs to measure SSO Project Results? I'm managing a SSO project and couldn't find any way to put metrics in numbers.

• 2.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Posted Mar 21, 2018 12:24 PM

Hi,

This may be better addressed by current PMs working with CA SSO, but my 2 cents on this: I think normally each project will have its own KPIs depending on the scope and objectives of the project itself. Any CA SSO implementation will have different goals, which can vary a lot as the product is very flexible, so you can have from providing SSO between environments, or provide enhanced security for some applications, to unify user security between different platforms, etc. So for a project you can find different KPIs that can be more suitable, like Time used on authentication by users, or Average time it takes to authenticate and authorize, while for others not. Actually I think it depends on the project itself and what is the challenge the customer needs to overcome.

Again, this may be better a question to be addressed by PMs working on CA SSO implementations, but just in case it helps, that was my humble opinion

Best regards

• 3.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2018 01:29 PM

Albert,

I have asked the same question t PM Forum. We are going to have a meeting with customer this week and I'd like to help him to things on tangible metrics. They bought the project to : Protection against unauthorized access /Enhance user productivity and experience / Open standards support / Centralized session management, but I couldn't find KPIs to help him to measure those benefits.

• 4.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Posted Mar 22, 2018 05:14 AM

Hi Marcia,

For me the best is to agree with them how they would like to measure these, but I understand you want to get there with many ideas as possible. As mentioned, the best option for this is to ask PMs involved in other projects, so I hope they gave you already some ideas

For the objectives you mentioned above, there is one which is more clearer:
    - Enhance user productivity and experience: Could be measured in terms of time (productivity), which can be measured on how many time it took for users to authenticate before, how many times, etc, and compare with the same data collected after the implementation, and satisfaction (experience), which could be gathered by surveys after the implementation.

For the Open standards support, Centralized session management, and Protection against unauthorized access, you will have to check with PMs to see how they measure this in other projects, however I only can think of comparing before with after, so how many authentication methods they had, and how they have now, etc. But, again, the best is to agree with them how they want to measure this, in a reasonable way.

I hope it helps, but this really should be checked with PMs

• 5.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 09:33 AM

Thanks Albert!

• 6.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Posted Mar 22, 2018 07:14 PM

We typically address this during the Requirements gathering session as CA SSO project's objectives can range over a wide variety of functions/objectives. There are no one-size fits all templates/process to apply the KPI based tracking model. The KPIs or metrics (or performance parameters) are the ones identified by your SSO Architect working with the customer team and drafting a set of mutually agreed data points which are then documented within the Solution Requirements Specification (SRS) and reviewed with the customer team before the SRS is signed off.

Paul Merugu

Architect

CA Services

• 7.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2018 08:01 AM

Hi Merugu thanks for you answer, my architect is trying to help me with this also. The thing is that we could only find out qualitative goals and no quantitative.

We had a meeting with customer yesterday and he couldn´t give any info from his business/environment to be measure.

• 8.  Re: KPIs for SSO
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 23, 2018 01:58 PM

HI Marcia,

Right and that's expected. There will be qualitative and quantitative ones that can be identified. Most quantitative ones are performance based. Things like Load that can be handled, Average transaction response times, User authentications per min, throughput etc. If the customer cannot provide much information around this, you can make assumptions to at least hit the current base-line numbers (if they exist) and then any ballpark projections. Depending on the complexity of the project, performance tests will later be needed to validate these. Also recommend taking a look at SRS (Solution Requirements Specifications) template we have within Services, might help with regards to what you are looking for.

If this is a critical project and you need additional guidance, reach out to me directly on paul.merugu@ca.com

Paul Merugu

Architect

CA Services

• 9.  Re: KPIs for SSO

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 02:00 PM

Hi Marcia,  The KPIs need to be somehow translated into technical performance matrices and measurements. Then Reporting and APM (fka Wily) within the CA SSO extended framework can help. Just my 2 cents, you already got some good feedback from others.

- Best Rgds. - Vijay