Clarity

• 1.  Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 21, 2018 08:36 PM

Is it possible to create a filter for a portlet in one account and share that filter with another user without having to manually enter it in the second users account? Can a filter be transferred between users?

• 2.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 22, 2018 12:11 AM

In the old UI, no this is not possible. I am not sure whether this capability is under consideration for inclusion in the new UI.

• 3.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2018 05:08 AM

We can set the default filter (for everyone) on a object list / portlet, but that is probably not what you want.

The only "supported way" that I can think of is for a user/admin to build the relevant filter as a power-filter, you can then copy the expression-text from the power-filter and share it with other users (who would still need to go into the power-filter, paste in the expression and save it as saved-filter).

( In the long-ago past I have built a custom job to copy a specific filter around between users on the database - obviously "unsupported" and on-premise only )

• 4.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 22, 2018 06:27 AM

Thank you.

This is very helpful

• 5.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 22, 2018 10:07 AM

Checkout the set of Dashboard and Portlet global rights.  These create menu links under Personal header, giving users the ability to create their own portlets and dashboards - these, can be shared, including default filter settings.

I use these with global teams that must be reviewing the same data each week.  To ensure that they do, I've created my own dashboards and portlets, created saved/default filters and then shared this with the team members.

One must be a bit careful with this, as one can add an existing portlet to a dashboard and then change it's configuration.  When doing this, one is not changing the configuration of a copy, one is changing the original portlet.  Always best to create one's own portlet, with it's own unique ID, that way, one is sure that the original won't get screwed up.  Because of this ability to reconfigure existing portlets, we didn't roll this feature out, generally - only to selected 'expert' users that had a need for such tools, and then, via training, ensured that they knew what not to do, as well as what to do.

Dale

• 6.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 22, 2018 01:53 PM

I was also thinking about that, but a little differently.

If you could create filter portlets and could put them on the dashboard and share them.

However, firstly the hurdle comes which create portlets global right. That only allows to create portlets if you have some admin rights.

I can see that a user can modify the portlets on his/her dashboard if the rights for editing are there. Then the user can publish the dashboard and the message even says the all the instances will be reflected (or something like that)

However, with global dashboards view I cannot see the personal dashboards another user has created.

Please, educate me, how do you see the portlets or dashboards other non admin users have created and configured?

• 7.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 23, 2018 04:53 AM

^ IIRC the power-user who has created the personal dashboard is just able to "share" it with other users (in a similar way to granting access rights).

I played around with personal dashboards quite a bit when they were "new" but they really were not "slick" enough to give to anyone who was not very familiar with the way that Clarity worked, so (IMHO) it just defeated the purpose of someone setting up something complex and then sharing it with a less-trained user.

• 8.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 23, 2018 06:40 AM

OK thanks now I see it.

First you publish the dashboard (maybe)

Then you grant instance rights to a page and select the dashboard from the list.

The trick is that if you look at the list of Portlet pages in Administration you do not see the dashboards.

Then the dashboard to which you have granted access appears in the list of dashboards under Home > Personal for the user who got the access.

• 9.  Re: Is it possible to share portlet filters

Posted Mar 23, 2018 07:40 AM

^ yeah ; its all very "less than intuitive" and not really what I was ever looking for in a way to share "my screen details" with someone else.