DX NetOps

• 1.  How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms

Posted Mar 22, 2018 01:28 PM

We need to get job failure event traps from a CA Workload Automation AE system mapped to alarms in Spectrum so we can create tickets and send notifications.  Right now, we receive the events as generic traps, and I'm looking for an easier way that Spectrum would know the trap is from WA and make the event management a little easier.

• 2.  Re: How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 04:21 PM

Hello,

If you have the Workload Automation MIB file, you can import (compile) it into the CA Spectrum and then map the traps through the CA Spectrum MIB Tools.

Configuring SNMP Manager - CA Workload Automation DE - 11.3.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

If you use a third-party SNMP manager, for example HP Openview, you can import a Management Information Base (MIB) description file that defines the format the SNMP manager uses. The name of this file is cybermation.mib.

On UNIX, for example, you can find this file in the directory installDir/ESPSystemAgent, where installDir represents your CA Workload Automation DE server installation directory.

Import and Export MIBs - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Import Individual MIBs

Follow these steps:

1. Click Utilities, MIB Tools from the main menu.
      MIB Tools opens.
    2. Click SPEC--add_MIB--ico (Add MIB) in the Navigation panel.
      The ‘MIB Tools: Add MIB’ dialog opens.
    3. Click Browse to locate and select the file that contains the MIB that you want to import. Or manually enter the complete path and filename in the MIB File Name field
    4. Click Open.
    5. Click Compile.
      A message appears in the Compiler section of the dialog, relating to the status of the compile request.
      On success, a message states that the file was successfully compiled.
      Otherwise, errors or warnings that were generated during the compilation appear. You cannot import a MIB that contains errors. Click Show Editor to edit the MIB file and correct any errors.
    6. Once the MIB compiles successfully, click Add to add the MIB and keep the ‘MIB Tools: Add MIB’ dialog open so that you can add additional MIBs, or click Add & Close to add the MIB and close the dialog.
      The MIB is added to the MIB Tools database, the ‘MIB Tools: Add MIB’ dialog closes, and the MIB is added to the list in the Navigation panel. If the MIB references a new vendor, a new folder appears for that vendor.

Trap Support for MIB Objects - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Create Trap Support

You can add support for MIB objects that CA Spectrum does not currently support by creating trap support. The MIBs must have already been imported into the MIB Tools database.

You can create support in CA Spectrum for traps that are defined in MIBs and are imported into the MIB Tools database. You can add custom trap support for new devices that are not supported in CA Spectrum. Or you can change the way that a trap is supported.

In a fault-tolerant SpectroSERVER environment, MIB Tools does not map traps on a secondary SpectroSERVER when the primary SpectroSERVER is down. If you have multiple primary SpectroSERVERs, then at least one of your primary SpectroSERVERs can be available to create trap support.

Follow these steps:

1. Select Tools, Utilities, and MIB Tools from the OneClick main menu.
    2. Select MIB in the Navigation panel.
      A list of traps for each MIB appears in the Trap Support table. The button (Map Traps) is only enabled if some traps lack CA Spectrum support.

Note: Use multiselect to select specific traps. Support is created only for the traps you select.
      Important! Any traps with partial support appear in the Trap Support table with Partial in the Event Code column. To create global trap support for these traps, remap these traps before continuing. For more information, see the  Modeling and Managing Your IT Infrastructure section.
    3. Click  (Map Traps).
      The MIB Tools: Assign Trap Alarms dialog opens.
    4. Click set in the Alarm Severity column to select the severity for the alarm that CA Spectrum generates when it receives the trap.
    5. Click OK to map the traps on all SpectroSERVERs.
      The MIB Tools: Trap Support Results dialog displays the status of the Map Traps action. When the action completes, the results list the number of traps that were created for each landscape.
      You can use Show Advanced Options when mapping traps to CA Spectrum events. For more information, see Show Advanced Options for Mapping Traps.
    6. Click Close.
      The Trap Support table shows the event code for each trap. The new events are now available for use by all model types in the CA Spectrum modeling catalog.
      CA Spectrum processes the trap accordingly.

Also take a look at this guide:

Event Configuration - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms

Posted Mar 23, 2018 07:40 AM

This is what I’m looking for.  Is the Workload Automation MIB readily available?  The product isn’t on MY support list.  Do I need to have the Workload support people request it?

Thanks

Steve Moore

• 4.  Re: How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2018 07:57 AM

Hi Steve,

The cybermation.mib file should be found in the agent directory.

Example: C:\Program Files\CA\WorkloadAutomation_R12\ESPSystemAgent\ 

If you have an active Workload Automation contract reach out the Customer Care to address the product list.

Contact CA Support - CA Technologies 

And if you can't find the cybermation.mib file, please contact the Workload Automation support team.

Thanks,

Silvio

• 5.  Re: How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms

Posted Mar 23, 2018 09:26 AM

Oh, sorry.  I misunderstood what I saw in regards to ‘cybermation.mib’.

Thanks

Steve

• 6.  Re: How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms

Posted Mar 23, 2018 11:04 AM

My Workload admin sent me the cybermation.mib file.  I’m concerned it isn’t right for our environment, or won’t give me what I’m expecting.  After compiling the MIB in MIB Tools, I see that the enterprise number is 11203.  The generic trap we currently receive indicates the enterprise number is 791.  Is there a different file we need, or do I just have to take the long way around?

Thanks for all of your help.

• 7.  Re: How to map CA Workload Automation events to Spectrum alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2018 01:03 PM

Steve,

You are correct, the 11203 Enterprise OID is for Cybermation Inc. The 791 Enterprise OID is for Computer Associates International.

https://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers/enterprise-numbers 

Sorry for the confusion. I am not familiar with Workload Automation, so I thought Workload Automation was the specific product name. Actually it is a suite name.

The AE suffix means AutoSys.

I have been told that the MIB file would be in the $AUTOSYS/snmp/ directory as CA.my.

I also attached the CA.my in this community. You can download it from Workload Automation AE - AutoSys MIB file 

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Silvio