AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Posted Mar 23, 2018 01:55 AM

Hi 

I am supporting AutoSys and I need advise regarding migration. I currently have a CA Workload Automation AE in r11.3.5 and with CA WCC and EEM. I would like to migrate to R11.3.6 SP7. What do I need consider and do to avoid downtime and ensure this is done seamlessly?

Thanks,

Liz

• 2.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 23, 2018 07:32 AM

This is an upgrade and you will need to have downtime. Hopefully you have a test environment to work out the logistics that bests works for your environment.

Each company is different, I have done this for a very long time. Planning is key and knowing what you have available within your firm.

Best advice I can give you at this stage

Good luck.

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 3.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:44 AM

Thanks Steve C. This will be upgrade and migration from OS Win2008 R2 to Win2016, DB MSSQL 2008 to MSSQL 2016 and upgrade from r11.3.5 to r11.3.6.  Will plan it carefully :-)

• 4.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Posted Mar 26, 2018 11:17 AM

you are most welcome. and good luck!

• 5.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2018 08:21 AM

Hi Lizzze,

Good day!!

I echo with Steve, you need to give a time downtime while up-gradating to latest release.

Please go through below documents on up-gradation.

https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-108800696
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-ae/11-4-2/en/upgrading/ae-upgrade
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-ae/11-4-2/en/upgrading/ae-upgrade/upgrade-ca-workload-automation-ae-r11-3-or-a-later-release-to-the-current-release

Best Regards,
    Shiva Krishna. K

• 6.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:45 AM

Thanks Shiva Krishna K for the links you've provided! Cheers!

• 7.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Posted Mar 23, 2018 08:56 AM

Lizzie,

Recently in a discussion, CA confirmed that there is absolutely no method to have zero downtime.

Echoing what Steve said, planning is the key to a near-seamless successful upgrade.

[Steve, was the first Instructor that I had a class with for Autosys when it was version 4.0]

The documentation links that are in the earlier post are definitely helpful, but there is no "one size fits all" solution.

This is from my actual experience with POCs, installs and upgrades

Depending on the set up of your environment, with proper planning there can be methods to reduce the downtime.

Good Luck!

Chris <CJ>

• 8.  Re: Needing tips in migrating CA WAAE R11.3.5 to R11.3.6 SP7

Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:48 AM

Hi Chris, Thanks so much for your input! We'll be requesting for a lab environment and do the migration / upgrade and plan from there.