Plex 2E

Expand all | Collapse all

Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

• 1.  Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Mar 26, 2018 03:24 AM
      |   view attached

We have a typical requirement to develop our code in Plex 4.5 as we don't have necessary resources or knowledge to upgrade. But as Windows XP went as an unsupported version long back there is an immediate need to switch to Windows 7/10 system. 

The software along with cryp ket got installed in Win 10/32 bit system, but i am getting an error while opening Plex 4.5.

I have attached the Error which I am receiving while opening the software in Windows 10 32 bit system.

We are just looking for , will Plex 4.5 ever work with Win7/10?

• 2.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 11:35 AM

Please be advised that Plex 4.5 is no longer supported. 

When Plex releases are retired or no longer supported, there is no additional testing done for 3rd party products. So the answer to your question is that CA has not done any testing with Plex 4.5 and Windows 7 or 10, so it is unknown if it will work.

• 3.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 03, 2018 03:35 AM

Hi Kumar

It happens as soon as you open your Plex IDE?

Is it a Windows 10 or Windows 7 installation? (I assume you are showing your working copy of Plex in your new Windows version)

Have you installed your license key mechanism?

• 4.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 03, 2018 08:18 AM

Hi Jorge,

This is for Win 10/ 32 bit system.Yes, it happens as soon as I open the Plex. The installation of software finishes normally.I did install the crypkey also along with Plex 4.5.

Did try this on a Win 7/64 bit system also but there I was not able to install crypkey successfully. But still was getting the same error.

But as soon as I open up the application it gives me this error, i doesn't gives me the option to enter the product key also. 

• 5.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 05, 2018 03:56 AM

Maybe Win10 is a larger distance from xp...Have you tried installing in a W7 system? Installing as admin, and as a 32 bit application. Both the criptkey and Plex. If no way, you have two paths: upgrade Plex or stay at the higher version of Windows as possible.

Regarding impact of migration, I can send you the migration guide from previous releases to Plex 6.1. Migrating from 6.1 ahead is simple.

• 6.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 16, 2018 03:35 AM

Thanks Jorge,

Can you please send me the migration guide for both "previous releases to Plex 6.1" and "6.1 ahead to the current release".

Also working per your advise to test this on a Win 7/32 bit system, but i am not very much positive for that.

• 7.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 16, 2018 07:25 AM

Let me know an email address of you. Not necesary...I didn't see the attachment button. Here goes the Release summary to 6.0. I will see if later versions require some action. The greater change is at 7.2.1, which changes Visual Studio support, upgrading to VS 2013.

Attachment(s)

• 8.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 16, 2018 07:29 AM

• 9.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 04:23 AM

Hi Kumar,
    as Andy already wrote,CA PLEX or former called COOL:Plex 4.5 was GA in year 2000 and since more then over 10 year it is end of support. The last certification for 4.5 was within WIN NT, WIN95, WIN98 and WIN2000. So also WIN XP and all version afterwards was never certified. See https://search.ca.com/assets/SiteAssets/TEC340075_External/258_CompMatrix_RetRel.pdf
    Will you try to run also older Visual Studio or .NET version on WIN7 or WIN10 which are not certified as well?
    I would suggest to upgrade all Microsoft and CA PLEX Software to a current supported version to be save.

regards

Thomas

• 10.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Posted Apr 04, 2018 11:41 AM

Thanks Thomas for your clarification.

Is there any document or link which can let me better understand the steps required to upgrade Plex 4.5.

Need to determine cost vs ROI of this upgrade for our company.

• 11.  Re: Can Plex 4.5 work on a Windows 7/10 system

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 02:26 AM

Hi Kumar,

Please can you open a Support case for this, as Level 2 need to get involved. There is no official Docu/Upgrade or News Letter available for 4.5 anymore.

Thanks

Thomas