Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Customize #OTK Fail with error message

Posted Mar 28, 2018 10:03 AM

I have a requirement to customize OTK error message.

OTK Version : 4.1

Gateway version : 9.2

e.g.

1. OTK error message default error message format is :

{
    "error":"invalid_request",
    "error_description":"Custom error description"
    }

2. Expecting OTK error message error message format is :

{
    "error": {
    "status": "400",
    "errors": [
    {
    "fields": "["invalid_request"]",
    "key": "error. missingDuplicate.parameters"
    }
    ]
    },
    "data": {}
    }

Please have a look at below approach and let me know how to achieve it.

Approach 1 : Override message creation in "OTK Fail with error message"

Approach 2 : Capture error message in "Global Message completed" and modify format

Approach 3 : Able to modify error message for each status code in customizations/#OTK Fail with error message

Challenges :

1. challenges in Approach 1 : how to disable "OTK Cache Store" and override error.msg context variable.
    2. challenges in Approach 2 : Unable to get error message as part of ${response.mainpart} or ${resp.mainpart} and unable to expose as  "Export Variables from Fragment" in customizations/#OTK Fail with error message.
    3. challenges in Approach 3 : Have to override all error code policy assertions, which is not a good practice.

I failed to achieve even though, was trying to modify "#OTK Cache Look Up Customization / "#OTK Cache Store Customization" . Please share your inputs.

• 2.  Re: Customize #OTK Fail with error message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 10:41 AM

I would not recommend Approach 1  and modifying OTK Fail with error message directly. To  disable caching of error messages completely you can copy the "isCached" context variable to the top of "#OTK Fail with error message" and set its value to true which will cause cache logic you show at line 255 to not cache error messages.

Approach 3 is the recommended approach and will persist upgrades. 

• 3.  Re: Customize #OTK Fail with error message

Posted Apr 04, 2018 06:52 AM

Thank you Stern for your valuable inputs,

I am able to disable cache but unable to modify/customize error.msg. Is there any way to get ${error.msg} inside "#OTK Fail with error message" or "Global Message completed"?

• 4.  Re: Customize #OTK Fail with error message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 09:54 AM

${error.msg} is set further down in the "OTK Fail with error message" assertion. TO override all OOB error messages you would need to copy all the error handling branches to "#OTK Fail with error message" and modify them accordingly. 

I would avoid using "Global Message completed" for this.