Expand all | Collapse all

CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Legacy User

Legacy UserApr 02, 2018 05:45 AM

• 1.  CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 02, 2018 02:17 AM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

We are facing issue while configuring CA CEM. The Automatic transaction discovery is not working and it is throwing error NO Machine EM collector found for <TIM collector host name>.

I have checked the service assigned to TIM collector in CEM. It is showing status for the Tim collector status UNKNOW but for MOM is showing UP.

The second thing is no events are generating at CEM console.   

Best Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 2.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 02, 2018 05:45 AM

Hi All,

Please check the Reference screen-shot  

• 3.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 06:00 AM

Dear Amit,

Please let me know the ips of MOM and collectors. Did you already added TIM or you were not able to add TIM because TIM collection service will be only able to run once you add your TIM in the cluster. Please also share hosts file from MOM, collectors and TIM.

The issue seems to be like MOM and collectors are not able to resolve the host names of each other.

Thanks,

Pankaj

• 4.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 03, 2018 02:09 AM

Hi Pankaj,

Appreciate your response

Both TIM's are added & I am able to enable/disable both TIM's.I checked the hosts files, there are entries in every host file..  

We have 1 MOM, 2 collectors & 2 TIM server's 

Best Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 5.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 08:35 AM

Dear Amit:

You have two issues. RTTM won't start  amd Unknown EM. Both are documented in knowledge docs

1) RTTM won't start 

See if this is an issue. Looking for teh string Svc  or RTTM or BT Stats in EM log should say why

[\Manager.com.timestock.tess.services.service.\CheckServices] Could not start service 'TIM.Collection.Svc' on entity 25: the service did not stop

I would look at your EM clusters properties on MOM. Check hostname, ip, and em.x num

2) To fix the unknown EM  issue do this 

1) Delete all TIMs through CEM UI
    2) Shutdown all \EMs in the cluster (MOM and all Collectors)
    3) Execute
    > delete from ts_entity;
    > commit;
    4) Restart all \EMs in this order:
    1. MOM
    2. Collector which customer is planning to use for TCS (this step will assign TCS to this Collector automatically)
    3. All other \EMs
    5) Re-add and enable only ONE TIM
    6) Double-check if TCS is assigned to Collector which customer is planning to use, if not assign TCS to this Collector
    7) Make sure that TCS and RTTM service is working at this point
    8) Add other 2 \TIMs (do NOT re-assign TCS to different Collector at this point

• 6.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 03, 2018 02:03 AM

Hi Hallett,

Thanks for your response,

I had few queries.

1. Is that compulsory to perform 3rd step if we able to delete TIM's though CEM UI.

2. Where can I find  EM clusters properties on MOM?

Best Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 7.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 09:08 AM

Hi Amit:

3) 

1. Is that compulsory to perform 3rd step if we able to delete TIM's though CEM UI.

There may be data about inactive TIMs that should be purged

2. Where can I find  EM clusters properties on MOM?

Look in your <EM_Home>/config directory 

Open IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties

Look for 

# Define connection properties for clustered EMs.
    # Connection properties support hot config.
    # Each clustered EM requires three properties:
    # host: hostname or ip address of the collector
    # port: connecting port of the collector
    # publickey: the public key to authenticate the MOM to the collector -
    # either an absolute path or a path relative to the config directory
    [not commented out)
    #introscope.enterprisemanager.clustering.login.em1.host=hostname
    #introscope.enterprisemanager.clustering.login.em1.port=5001
    #introscope.enterprisemanager.clustering.login.em1.publickey=internal/server/EM.public
    #introscope.enterprisemanager.clustering.login.em1.weight=

• 8.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 04, 2018 01:28 AM

Thanks, Hallett

I will follow all the steps according to the suggestions.

Best Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 9.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 07:03 PM

If Virtual IPs are being used the "Unknown" status may not be a cause for concern - this KB has details:

"Under the CEM Setup>Services>EM Configuration tab all Collectors show an "EM Running State" of "Unknown" instead of "Up". What is the significance of the "Unknown"" - Under the CEM Setup>Services>EM Configuration tab - CA Knowledge 

===

Cause:
    • When a Collector connects to the APM DB, it provides its port number and a list of IP addresses for all bound Network Interface Cards (NICs) on which it is accepting incoming communications.
    • The Collector IP Address or hostname set in the MOM IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties file must match or be resolvable to one of the above IP addresses. If there is no match the Collector status is set to "Unknown" instead of "Up"
    Resolution:

An "EM Running State" of "Unknown" may or may not indicate that there is a functionality problem.

For example in a APM cluster failover environment with the following configuration:

• A Collector registers its NIC IP Addresses with the APM DB and can be succesfully used for assigning CEM Services.
    • A MOM is using a Collector Virtual IP Address (VIP) and can successfully connect to it.

An "Unknown" running state will be reported instead of "Up" because the VIP does not match any of the NIC IPs. However all functionality is working as expected.

===

• 10.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 04, 2018 01:24 AM

Hi Williams,

Thank you for updating.

As per the KB article, you suggested the UNKNOWN status will not affect any functionally.

But what could be the issue behind the Automatic Transaction Discovery which is not working?

Meanwhile, I'll try the step's suggested by Hallett.      

Best Regards

Amit Singh BSiht

• 11.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Posted Apr 17, 2018 11:42 AM

Hi Hallett,

I had tried your suggestion but it doesn't work out. The Automatic transaction discovery is still showing the same error.

Environment Details:

The customer had configured  1 VIP by merging the two APM collectors/ servers.

So we have 4 collectors and 2 VIPs

APM Version: 10.5.1

Kindly suggest

Best Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 12.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 06:26 PM

Hi Amit,

It sounds like you do have a failover environment for the 2 collectors then.

Please create a  support case so this problem can be analysed in more detail.

https://comm.support.ca.com/csupport/CaseManagement/cases/new 

Please also include the link to this Community thread in the case description so the Engineer who takes ownership is aware of this history.

Thank-you

Lynn

• 13.  Re: CA CEM unable to start Transaction Discovery
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2018 02:02 AM

For the record we resolved this problem via a support case:

MOM EM properties file was using Collector VIPs (introscope.enterprisemanager.clustering.login.em*.host=<VIP>.).

The Collector running the Tim Collection Service needed its VIP <-> FQDN mapping to be added to the MOM hosts file.

The MOM was then able to do a successful lookup of the Collector FQDN with the VIP it knew about.

That resolved the Automatic Transaction Discovery (ATD) startup error:
    "No matching EM collector found for <FQDN of EM running Tim Collection Service>"

It also resolved the problem of the Collector "EM Running State" of "Unknown" which changed to "Up"

I have also updated the above KB article "Under the CEM Setup>Services>EM Configuration tab all Collectors show an "EM Running State" of "Unknown" instead of "Up". What is the significance of the "Unknown"":

Under the CEM Setup>Services>EM Configuration tab - CA Knowledge