AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

• 1.  How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 04, 2018 02:08 PM

I am trying to change the CA workload agent to use a Current Java 8 version other than the default embedded. Reason being our security scans are flagging the outdated Java used by the current agent. I was told this can be accomplished by just changeing the file path in the Agentparm.text file. Every time I attempt this the service will not start afterwards. Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for this. Does this need to be done in any other file or location other than the ...

.# Java parameters
    oscomponent.javapath=C:/Program Files (x86)/CA/Workload Automation AE/jre/bin

Thank you

• 2.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 04, 2018 02:13 PM

What version of java and which version of agent. Its important. If they want you to pint to java 1.8 you need the latest agent 11.3.7+ or 11.4

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 3.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 04, 2018 03:27 PM

Thank you so Much Steve for the Response. Currently we are running 11.3.4 and were told only 11.3.5. was available as new version. Our Vulnerability Scanners are Flagging the old JRE in the .bin folder. Originally we had a issue where we saw the old Java files were left behind on the installation of 11.3.5 so hence we were trying our own solution.The Owning application Team Engineer who is the SME was the one who told me it "should work" . I tried JRE 8 Update 161 & 8 Update 162 with no luck. Any chance you know what version of Java is used in  11.4.   Thank you for saving me hours of Troubleshooting.

• 4.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 04, 2018 03:45 PM

as i said 11.3.7+ and 11.4 are the only game in town for java 1.8

especially for HTTP jobs etc. the lower versions agent will not support java 1.8 and will not run as you found. 

check the logs of the agent. you will see its the java.. 

Good luck .

• 5.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2018 07:26 PM

Hi Ernie,

It is not recommended to change (update) the JRE shipped with the System Agent or change the System Agent to use a different JRE on the system.

System Agent 11.4 (on Linux) ships w/ JRE 1.8.0_152. Might be different on IBM AIX/ i5OS.

# cd /opt/CA/WorkloadAutomationAE/SystemAgent/WA_AGENT/
    # ./cybAgent -v | grep -B3 "Build"

CA Workload Automation Agent for:
       Linux x86_64 64-bit
       11.4, Service Pack 00, Maintenance Level 0, Build 1609
    #
    # jre/bin/java -version
    java version "1.8.0_152"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_152-b16)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.152-b16, mixed mode)

• 6.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 09:21 PM

Hi,

So as Chandru indicated, the JRE change is not supported.  The CA WA Agent must use the JRE it is shipped with.

Thank you,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies

• 7.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 06, 2018 07:15 AM

*sigh* guys i hate to be the bearer of bad news , but if you are NOT out in the real world then saying MUST is a stretch.

It's strongly ADVISED. There's clear indication that the variable in question is to point to the java release supported, BUT patches for that release do come out and more frequently than CA publishes and sometimes security demands we move the java up a notch to remain compliant. 

Which means you do not go beyond the maximum java version the agent can handle but stay within the release level but with suitable patches. 

and there endeth the lesson ...

(and trust me i have been out here a lot longer)

Steve C.

• 8.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 05, 2018 11:51 PM

I hate to be "that guy quoting the doc" but I see it says:

"JRE 1.7 is the minimum that is required for the agent."

The latest agent ships with JRE 1.8. I would expect that the latest agent would support any 1.8 release and CA would allow for security updates.

Likewise I would expect an older agent that shipped with JRE 1.7 would support any 1.7 release or patch level at least if not JRE 1.7 or later as the doc implies.

I *thought* this was the policy but perhaps I am not recalling correctly.

It's important to be clear on this because: security. 

Mark

• 9.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 06, 2018 07:04 AM

I also seem to remember being the guy saying the minimum agent for java 1.8 was 11.3.7+

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 10.  Re: How to change Agentparm file to use different Java

Posted Apr 06, 2018 08:04 AM

Mark,

the variable is there , IMHO, so that we can change the path to point to the patched release that wasn't shipped. and when the patch grows beyond the agent we hope that CA has a new one :-)

and agreed to your point this is very IMPORTANT because of security scans.. 

Steve C.