Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

• 1.  How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Posted Apr 05, 2018 08:21 AM

I have the "My Tasks" app displayed on my Dashboard. I would like to be able to sort the tasks so that they are displayed based on the rank of their parent user story, and then their rank within that user story. Is there some way to do this? If not, how am I able to determine which task is the next one I should be working on. Thanks!

• 2.  Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 03:55 PM

Hi Russ,

Let me know if this helps. I changed the settings for My Tasks app to display the type of 'User Story'.

See the second screen shot where you can see my user stories are listed according to their rank where you can see the included tasks per each story.

Is this more-or-less what you asked?

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Posted Jun 19, 2020 09:19 AM
    I know this is an older post, but hoping somebody can provide feedback.

I implemented what's above as a way for individuals on the team to know exactly what they should be working on AND in what order.  In other words, make sure everybody is working on the highest priority stories, and therefore associated tasks.  But, in my test, it doesn't order the tasks based on the story Rank.  For example, a task shown for story Rank 1 is at the bottom of the list, which completely defeats the purpose for what I need this view to do.

Any thoughts?

• 4.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2020 10:10 AM
    Hi Scott,
    I am not sure where the 'rank' has gone from that screen. The way the filtering was implemented was to find all those things that have 'Terri' as an owner and then show all the artefacts related to those things. This is not a case of only show me my stuff as that gets a bit hard to implement in a generalised logic. If the only need was specifically to show tasks and then give a priority to them based on User Story, then that is a specific requirement. I can imagine that another company might want the User Stories to be ordered by Feature priority, or Release end date. The problem then becomes where do you stop in the flexibility.

The closest I can get you to where I think you want to be is this. However, you will notice it shows you tasks that are not yours as well:

------------------------------
    Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Posted Jun 19, 2020 10:31 AM
    I guess I was hoping that since it's pulling all the information correctly (all the tasks just assigned to me in the current sprint...based on the query), it could easily look at the story associated with the task, look at the story Rank...and then order (rank) the tasks correctly.  in other words, just assign the story Rank to the associated tasks (So all tasks under Story with Rank =1 would get assigned a Rank = 1) and sort.  All the information is available to do that.

I'm not saying there needs to be a new task field Rank.  Just have it be a temporary variable in the background used just for sorting.

• 6.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2020 02:00 PM
    Hi Scott,

I hope you are up for using Custom HTML apps.... I just stuck a bit of code in a github repo for you to try. Totally unsupported, but use if you want to.

https://github.com/nikantonelli/MyTaskList

Take the contents of the deploy/App-uncompressed.html file and stick it into the HTML field of a Custom HTML app on a new page in your Rally login.

Highly simplistic app that gets tasks filtered to a person and orders them by the User story DragAndDrop rank and then by the TaskIndex. Let me know whether it helps.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 7.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Posted Jun 19, 2020 03:38 PM
    Thanks much.  It may be a few days before I get a chance to jump back into this.  I'll report back.

• 8.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 24, 2020 04:17 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Jul 02, 2020 04:10 PM
    Hi Scott,

I did a more intelligent version of this app here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/MyTaskList/tree/rallygridDev

It will allow you to filter on a person, and/or any other field set, choose which fields you want. I am looking into how to add the field selector next

P.S. Field selector is now added, but the list doesn't auto populate just yet. Looking into that.....

P.P.S. Done that too.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 9.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Posted Jun 24, 2020 09:21 AM
    that works.  Thanks much!

• 10.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Posted Jun 24, 2020 11:55 AM
    One minor change if possible.  It doesn't persist the fields chosen, so it only shows the ID and Name once you leave and come back to that page.  I'd like individuals to be able to easily see what is already complete so the list isn't confusing.  Can be done in 2 ways:
    1. Persist the fields chosen (so I would include the State) so individuals can see at a quick glance OR
    2. Only show tasks that are not yet Complete.

I'd prefer #1 because that would eliminate the possible discussions on "hey...where did that task go that you were assigned to" when it's been marked Complete.

Thanks for your help so far.​

• 11.  RE: Re: How can I sort the My Tasks list in the Dashboard?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2020 06:55 AM
    The field selection persistence seems to work now,. Try the new code on my repo.

The fieldpicker has some challenges so I had to implement something with preferences. I got it doing what I wanted eventually!

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software