DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Mapping alarm arrival time from an alarm to a ServiceNow field with the SDGTW probe ?

Posted Apr 05, 2018 12:44 PM

Some background is we are using the SDGTW probe with ServiceNow. We would like to map the time_origin field of an alarm to a filed in ServiceNow so that a report can be ran and the time difference between when the alarm alerted and when the actual incident was created can be compared. I worked with our SNOW team and they created a Date/Time Format field for me to map to. I went through the options in the drop down and see choices like arrival, assigned_at, time_origin, time_received. Anytime I try to map these fields to the newly created service now field the incident gets created but that field is just blank. Come to find out it seems the probe does not have the ability to map a value to a date/time field in ServiceNow.

My question is has anyone tried to do something like this and if you have what solution did you use or how did you get around not being able to map to a date/time format field? The biggest thing is we want to be able to run a report in ServiceNow on that newly created date/time field. I also tried to print the value of those variable in a custom message in the description field (using the $variable) of the service now incident. When I do I get values like the following 1522873918 - 1522929406 - 1522928815 for $arrival, $assigned_at, $time_received.

Hopefully the context to start helps explain what we are trying to do.Thanks in advance for anyone's suggestions or help.

• 2.  Re: Mapping alarm arrival time from an alarm to a ServiceNow field with the SDGTW probe ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Robert -

Based on your testing, I strongly suspect that this is going to be an enhancement request for the sdgtw probe.  The time fields in UIM alarms are all numeric times (epoch time).  I do not believe that the probe has the capability of converting this numeric time to a human readable time/date stamp when you map the UIM alarm time field to a string field in ServiceNow nor does it have the ability to convert the numeric value to a ServiceNow date/time field.

If you would like to see this type of functionality added to the probe, I would recommend that you open an enhancement request for the sdgtw probe by opening an idea for this on the UIM community page.

• 3.  Re: Mapping alarm arrival time from an alarm to a ServiceNow field with the SDGTW probe ?

Posted Apr 06, 2018 08:13 AM

Kathryn,

You may want to recommend/suggest they put something about this in documentation. As I read over the documentation for the probe I see no info on the fact that date/time format fields cannot be mapped nor do I see anything about the time format not able to be converted by the probe. That way someone does not implament this and than after a few updates need to add this functionality thinking its available and its not. Than not having a solution.

That being said I created the idea incase you wanted the link here it is https://communities.ca.com/ideas/235738983-sdgtw-probe-allow-converting-numeric-time-human-readable-timedate-stamp-so-datetime-fields-can-be-mapped-to-servicenow-datetime-format-fields

Thanks for the information/help, and if anyone else has a way to get alarm creation date/time into a ServiceNow incident some how as a workaround I would be open to all suggestions.

Thanks,