DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Migrate Ehealth to UIM

Posted Apr 05, 2018 11:07 PM

Ehealth / UIM.

What's the best  way to migrate Ehealth Data/elements to UIM?

Ehealth is using Oracle Schema and UIM Microsoft SQL.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Migrate Ehealth to UIM

Posted Apr 05, 2018 11:21 PM

I guess there is no direct path of migrating from eHealth to UIM . It would be a complete rebuild of the inventory in UIM.

You might need to first decide on how would you like to monitor the different devices in UIM as there are more than one way of monitoring devices in UIM unlike eHealth (SNMP).

Once you decide on the way to monitor in UIM, you need to redo the entire discovery and monitoring config based on the decided monitoring governance 

• 3.  Re: Migrate Ehealth to UIM

Posted Apr 06, 2018 12:55 AM

If you are asking whether you can migrate your historical data from eHealth to UIM, then I am sorry to say there is no good way to do that.  CA has stated several times that they aren't going to move that data into UIM.  However, I have seen that they created a hook that would let you run a trend report from UIM that reached back into your eHealth db to create a trend line in UIM. 

What do you poll in eHealth today?  Network devices, systems, etc??  They have been pushing eHealth customers towards Performance Manager and not necessarily UIM.  They do focus heavily on the network polling, but often forget that MANY customers use eHealth for system monitoring, too.  You can actually do both in UIM, but the PM product is the true network polling product.  If you were going to move to PM from eHealth, they did create a migration for that.  You have to talk to CA Services for that, though.  They won't let you do that on your own.

As for the actual monitoring components, like Phani said it's basically a "start over" scenario.  You'll have to evaluate all the features of eHealth that you are using today - Live Health, Time over Threshold, Deviation from Normal, Business Services Console (yes, I said it!!!), and all your various notification and report delivery requirements.  Of everything, the reporting requirements are the most challenging.  It's just not easy to create reports in UIM.  It IS getting easier, and CABI will help a lot, but the learning curve on that can be steep depending on what you need to create.

I am in the middle of this same exercise right now.  Well... quite a ways down the road, really.  It's an interesting journey.

• 4.  Re: Migrate Ehealth to UIM

Posted Apr 06, 2018 11:28 AM

Hi ,

Both are isolated tools ,there is no direct migration possible .You can't  carry the data and run the UIM.

CA eHealth vs CA UIM 

robot vs systemedge  

• 5.  Re: Migrate Ehealth to UIM

Posted Apr 07, 2018 01:16 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I am monitoring network devices and systems. The question was related if i can import in UIM these devices in on easy manner or i have to discover each system and device from scratch in UIM.

• 6.  Re: Migrate Ehealth to UIM

Posted Apr 11, 2018 03:39 AM

It would depend on how you're monitoring your systems. In eHealth you should be using SNMP to monitor servers. These can be either monitored with a sysEDGE agent installed or with native SNMP agent or any other agent that provides SNMP based access.

In UIM, if you want to monitor SNMP based servers, you'll have to do it using the snmpcollector probe. This one does similar job as eHealth with SNMP monitoring would do.

If you want to extend the monitoring capabilities beyond the SNMP at server level, you'd have to install UIM robots and probes on the servers to monitored. These however, do not use SNMP to communicate with each other. They use proprietary means.

And to answer your question, if you're still planning of using SNMP to monitor your servers, you'd have to configure all together the monitoring using snmpcollector probe. As far as I know, there is no migration path for configurations from eHealth to snmpcollector.