Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

DevTest Portal: Create a VS using "Virtualize using RR pairs" option

• 1.  DevTest Portal: Create a VS using "Virtualize using RR pairs" option

Posted Apr 09, 2018 07:40 PM

Hi ,  J_NeSmith

I have a requirement where in I should be able to create a VS from DevTest Portal using RR pair/ Swagger. I want to explore all the options. Can someone assist me, if already explored this feature. Following are the few assumptions that I have to keep in mind while creating VS from Portal.

- VS should be data driven: VS should refer to external data source (Excel/CSV file)

- Is it possible to edit VSI(to parameterize few values)/VSM(to include DB steps ) once created through Portal ? or can I perform these activities[VSI(to parameterize few values)/VSM(to include DB steps)] on Portal itself? 

- How to handle MQ protocol? is it through VRS file. If yes,

i) what exactly does that file contains and

ii) how can I create VRS file(as I am the admin)

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Narasimha.

• 2.  Re: DevTest Portal: Create a VS using "Virtualize using RR pairs" option
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 12, 2018 12:49 PM

The Portal has limited capabilities as far as editing the VSI.  Its by far easier to edit the VSI in the Workstation for the things you want to do.  For the VSM, you'll have to use the Workstation to add steps it.

A VRS file is a "virtual recording scenarios" file:  when you record a VS, on the last dialog of the recording wizard, you can save your recording configuration (the ports, protocols, DPHs that are added, etc.) to make it easier to rebuild a similar VS using the same information.  For example, if you start a new recording, there's a button around the bottom left of the first screen of the recording wizard to load a VRS (look for the tiny blue folder icon near the side-bar and just above the button bar); click that to load a previous VRS file.  Having loaded it, all the screens of the recording wizard will be pre-populated with whatever values were saved in the VRS.  As you step through the dialogs, you can change values as needed without having to redefine all your configuration parameters.

The button to save your recording information, will which create the VRS file, is very easy to miss.  On the last screen of the recording wizard, on the screen that has the "Finish" button, look for a small icon that looks like a floppy disk icon; its just above the "Finish" button.  If you hover over the button, it has a tool tip that reads something like "Save the recording definition to a local file".  Click that and a Save Recording Session dialog will open, which prompts for the name of the VRS file and the folder in which to save it.  In 9.5.1, this file was saved with the ".vts" extension, which is a binary version of a VRS. In 10.0, we changed the extension to ".vrs" and made it an XML file, so its editable.  As such, you can make copies of a VRS, edit it in a text editor, change parameters as desired, save it under a new name, thereby creating a small collection of VRS files. 

For MQ, here's a link to a short tutorial:

Tutorial 3: JMS Virtual Service Using DevTest Workstation - DevTest Solutions - 10.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,

Jon

• 3.  Re: DevTest Portal: Create a VS using "Virtualize using RR pairs" option

Posted Apr 15, 2018 09:01 PM

Thanks for the details Jon.