CA Service Management

• 1.  SDM 17.1 - Insights Datamart

Posted Apr 10, 2018 09:03 AM

Is there an objective reason for the Insights Datamart being supported on MS SQL Enterprise Edition only ? Service Desk requires only a Standard MS SQL Edition - and I bet a lot of installations are using the Standard edition.

Are there plans to make the it work on MS SQL Standard edition or maybe other database engines ?

• 2.  Re: SDM 17.1 - Insights Datamart
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 10:38 AM

Hey Cristi,

We have some online index operations that the Datamart jobs depend on (pentaho API) that SQL Server Standard Edition does not support.  You would end up on an error like this when you try to do load data:

ERROR 2018-01-10 06:38:25,986 [dm_ticket UUID: 8c1a386a-466e-41cb-bb63-0529f1d9d6c1] pentaho.di.eventAdded() :: Rebuild Index - An error occurred executing this job entry : 
    Couldn't execute SQL: EXEC dbo.disableOrRebuidIndexes 'dm_ticket', 'CREATE'

Online index operations can only be performed in Enterprise edition of SQL Server.

So it forced us to support SQL Enterprise Edition only for Datamart.

_R

• 3.  Re: SDM 17.1 - Insights Datamart

Posted Apr 11, 2018 10:12 AM

I know the error you quoted.  During the installation there was no warning from the install script that an Enterprise edition was necessary, however during the ETL job execution I received a similar error.

Looking over the Pentaho site, I see it supports SQL Server without any restrictions to Edition (.03 Database Connections - Pentaho Data Integration - Pentaho Wiki ).

• 4.  Re: SDM 17.1 - Insights Datamart

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 11:26 AM

Sorry about the delayed response here.  During our validation phase, we ran into the above requirement and engineering/product management teams clarified that Enterprise Edition is required for Datamart.    I'm not sure what other Datamart component is restricting us away from a regular edition usage.

_R

• 5.  Re: SDM 17.1 - Insights Datamart

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 12:45 PM

FYI - this information has recently been published in Why is SQL Server Enterprise Edition the only supp - CA Knowledge