DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Autoprobe.log

Posted Apr 10, 2018 03:40 PM

Hi,

I'm looking a way to change Autoprobe.log severity but I didn't find nothing in docs, except how to change the size of it. File grows without stopping and I would like to know if it is possible to limit what is written in it.

Does someone know if it's possible?

Regards!

• 2.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 03:53 PM

It's either off or on.

If you're on *nix, you can use logrotate to deal with the file.

• 3.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Broadcom Employee

• 4.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Posted Apr 11, 2018 08:18 AM

Hi Hiko,

Thanks for your response, but actually I'm need understand why this log grows without stopping.

Regards.-

• 5.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Posted Apr 11, 2018 07:37 AM

Your autoprobe is growing so large it is a concern?  Something don't seem right.  The autoprobe log contains the configuration files that the agent reads, or rereads when there is cause to.  The Autoprobe logs recreates every time the agent is restarted.  

Review your log and see if you are having the agent reload it's configuration, locate the start and send and see if it is a full configuration set reload or if there is an issue with the config files.

You might want to investigate if there is another byte/code instrumentation generator also running, like WebLogic's Diagnostics Framework that is causing the classes to be redefined.  

Try to determine why the agent is reloading and solve that issue since the autoprobe log should not be growing so large to be a concern.

Hope this helps,

Billy

• 6.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Posted Apr 11, 2018 08:21 AM

Hi bwcole!

Nice tip:

"You might want to investigate if there is another byte/code instrumentation generator also running, like WebLogic's Diagnostics Framework that is causing the classes to be redefined. "

I'll investigate it.

Thanks very much!

Regards.

• 7.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 12:43 PM

Side Note:

As per Engineering,  How does AutoProbe Log grow ? Has it a size limit ? Can it be disabled ?

The AutoProbe.log contains
    1. the pbds loaded by AutoProbe. This is fixed size.
    2. the classes loaded by the JVM, and processed and instrumented by AutoProbe. This grows as the JVM load the classes.

#2 usually grows very little since after the JVM load the classes, it'll usually keep it in memory and does not reload the class.

There's no size limit to AutoProbe log.

Yes. it can be disabled , Just make the property blank.

--> introscope.autoprobe.logfile=

• 8.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Posted Apr 11, 2018 12:58 PM

Very good points Yanna.

With the 10.x auto entry/exit, dynamic instrumentation and I think deep entry point, you might see a growth in the number of entries in the auto probe log since these are when the autoprobe has detected other classes to instrument.

If your application server or your application uses byte code instrumentation or in memory class redefinition, then the auto probe agent might re-instrument the classes thinking they are new classes.

If you are using a 1.6 JVM (oracle or ibm) then look into the non-redef.profile and noredef.jar within the agent.  The out of the box IntroscopeAgent.profile is setup for a 1.7 JVM and you really shouldn't use it for a 1.6 JVM.

Could you state which application server, version of application server, JVM vendor and version or if you are using .NET?  That might help others understand the scope of this issue and also see if it relates to anything they have seen.

Hope this helps,

Billy

• 9.  Re: Autoprobe.log

Posted Apr 11, 2018 01:01 PM

Oh yea...thought of something else...

You might not want to disable the auto-probe logging completely.  The autoprobe log would help you see what is going on within the context of the JVM and the autoprobe operations. 

Each time the autoprobe has to reload it's configuration set, it is then re-instrumenting classes and do that enough times, you will see an impact on your JVM memory and CPU.

• 10.  Re: Autoprobe.log
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 10:48 PM

1. The Autoprobe log size limit can be controlled by implementing the following:

Add the com.wily.autoprobe.logSizeInKB property in JVM generic arguments. Example: 

....... -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=..... -Dcom.wily.autoprobe.logSizeInKB=10000 .... 

Restart of the Application Server JVM is then required.

2. Setting agent profile property introscope.autoprobe.logfile to no value i.e. "introscope.autoprobe.logfile=" will disable Autoprobe logging completely. Restart of the Application Server JVM is then required.

KB:

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/java-agent-autoprobelog-file-can-grow-to-be-quite-large-gb-is-there-a-way-to-limit-the-size-or-disable-logging-completely/kb000011047