Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Structure of transport case unload file

Jean-Francois Anctil

Jean-Francois AnctilJul 11, 2014 10:06 AM

• 1.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Oct 31, 2013 09:35 AM

I plan to implement checks of objects in the transport case unload files, such as: • validating adherence to naming conventions • confirming that dependent objects are present • checking the contents of job Process tabs for problems I have analyzed the structure of the transport case unload file and believe I understand the overall structure and many of the details, but it would still help to have a proper file format specification. Has anyone written up a specification of the transport case unload file format? Second, I would like to build a Java program that reads in a transport case unload file and then builds Java objects corresponding to the tables, rows, and fields contained in the file. Has anyone written such a program?

Update: See Transport case file format 

• 2.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Nov 05, 2013 10:35 AM
    No, but I have written Java programs to create transport cases. One program creates an XML manifest file by recursively reading a specific folder in a specific client. A second program reads the transport case, executes a job to turn off version management, copies all the listed objects in the manifest to the transport case, executes a job to export the transport case and then calls a job to turn version management back on.

• 3.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jan 13, 2014 10:28 AM
    Chuck Williams said:
    No, but I have written Java programs to create transport cases. One program creates an XML manifest file by recursively reading a specific folder in a specific client. A second program reads the transport case, executes a job to turn off version management, copies all the listed objects in the manifest to the transport case, executes a job to export the transport case and then calls a job to turn version management back on.

That sounds a lot like the solution we implemented, although we did everything but the first step via ordinary shell scripting & UC4 scripting.

We do not disable version management when exporting the transport case. Why do you do this?

• 4.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jan 13, 2014 10:35 AM
    Version management is disabled and re-enabled after the transport case is created as I don't want to be promoting prior/old/obsolete versions of an object from Development to QA to Production. I only want the latest (tested) version to be included. I was told by an Automic consultant, that if that was not done, all versions would be included in the transport case.

• 5.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jan 13, 2014 11:23 AM

The load will also take longer with Version Management enabled if there are already objects of the same name in the target system. 

The Load process has to correlate the versions and re-number them accordingly.

• 6.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Apr 11, 2014 03:10 AM
    Jennifer Jinhong said:

The load will also take longer with Version Management enabled if there are already objects of the same name in the target system. 

The Load process has to correlate the versions and re-number them accordingly.

Oh wow. I never thought of that. I guess it can get complicated!

• 7.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Apr 11, 2014 03:34 AM
    Version management is disabled and re-enabled after the transport case is created as I don't want to be promoting prior/old/obsolete versions of an object from Development to QA to Production. I only want the latest (tested) version to be included. I was told by an Automic consultant, that if that was not done, all versions would be included in the transport case.

Are you sure? I've never found old versions in my transport cases. As long as I know, the import of a transport case into the target system creates a new version. The old versions of the target system remain and are re-numbered (as Jenifer says). Old versions of the target system are not overwritten of those from the source. 

• 8.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Apr 11, 2014 10:26 AM

You may not *see* the old versions as objects, but check the Version history of some of the transported items, and you may find them there.

• 9.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Apr 11, 2014 12:56 PM

Daryl, I think we are talking of the same. As long as Chuck does not need any versions of his transports on the target system turning off version management is the right thing. 

Just to clarify  ( - not that this is setting the world on fire)

Chuck Williamssaid:

I was told by an Automic consultant, that if that was not done, all versions would be included in the transport case.

It's just that the version history do not get transported from a to b. Versions and their history get created on the traget systemen. The version history looks only the same on both sides if you transport each single version. 

Source                Target
    1. Va
    2. Vb    > transport >  1. Vb
    3. Vc                   2. Vb.1 (eg. some minor change)
    4. Vd    > transport >  3. Vd

• 10.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jul 10, 2014 01:07 PM

Chuck, in a post, you wrote: "... copies all the listed objects in the manifest to the transport case..". How to you exactly put objects in the transport case? I would love to be able to do that within a code, but so far, I have just succeeded to mess up the database...

• 11.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jul 10, 2014 01:35 PM

JF,

Here's a code fragment that puts an object in the transport case programmatically:

IFolder uc4Folder = tree.getFolder(folder.getName());

FolderList folderList = new FolderList(uc4Folder);

uc4Connection.sendRequestAndWait(folderList);

for (Export export : folder.getExport()) {

FolderListItem folderListItem = folderList.findByName(export.getName());

if (folderListItem != null) {

// InsertVersionTag.insertVersionTag(uc4Connection,

// folderListItem, versionTag);

TransportObject transport = new TransportObject(folderListItem);

uc4Connection.sendRequestAndWait(transport);

} else {

System.out.println("Object " + folder.getName() + "/" + export.getName()

+ " not found. Skipping...");

}

}

• 12.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jul 11, 2014 04:00 AM

TheTransportFromFolderfeature of the “UC4 Consulting Tools” does something similar, selecting objects for transport based on their folder location.

• 13.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jul 11, 2014 10:06 AM
    Is it possible to do it with Automic scripting?

• 14.  Structure of transport case unload file

Posted Jul 12, 2014 03:53 AM
    Jean-Francois Anctil said:
    Is it possible to do it with Automic scripting?

No. I have found no Automic scripting commands that are awareat all of object folder locations.