Daryl_Brown_218

FTP RA agent (v3) tips?

Discussion created by Daryl_Brown_218 on Nov 14, 2013
Latest reply on May 3, 2016 by Peter WIRFS

We have just encountered a customer where we need to connect using password-based SFTP (which is notoriously difficult to automate without a tool) so we're testing out the FTP RA agent.  Now I've validated that the RA agent can do what I need it to do, and I'm now moving on to trying to build some actual jobs involving the agent.  I'm hoping to get some tips from the community as to how best to approach the following task:

PERIODIC POLLING FOR FILES

Our customer will be periodically posting files on their (remote) SFTP site that we will need to come and retrieve.  What I'd like to do is build a time event that will periodically trigger a workflow containing an FTP job to see if there's anything there.  If a file is there, I'll trigger another workflow to download; if nothing is there, then I want to exit cleanly.  (I'll use a separate process to make sure we receive our files by a certain time.)

These are my challenges here:

1) This seems like an obvious case for using the "List" command in the FTP job.  Yet when I do this and there are no files there, the job throws an ugly java error.  It doesn't cause the job to actually fail unless I check off 'Abort job on command failure', but it still makes for an ugly report.  Is there any way to suppress these errors, or otherwise do a file check that doesn't throw these errors in the first place?

2) If I *do* find some files to be processed, then the next challenge is to identify the filenames so that I can trigger the workflows to process them.  I'll probably need to use PREP_PROCESS_REPORT for this, but that report looks like it will be difficult to parse.  Does anyone know of an easy way to isolate just the files in the list from this report?

I'd appreciate any tips from those folks already using the FTP agents!

Thanks!

-- Daryl

Outcomes