AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

Expand all | Collapse all

[Solved] $Universe on VMware

• 1.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 06, 2008 06:45 AM
    Hello,

we are about to start virtualizing servers using VMware. Does $Universe run on virtualized boxes?
    Are there any traps to avoid? Any specificities?

Richard

• 2.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 06, 2008 07:50 AM
    [quote name='Richard' post='1048' date='November 6 2008, 12:44 PM']Hello,

we are about to start virtualizing servers using VMware. Does $Universe run on virtualized boxes?
    Are there any traps to avoid? Any specificities?

Richard[/quote]
    Yes it works, but we currently have a call on $Access on $U v5.00 under Windows 2003 OS : jobs are sometimes in "pending execution" status and never continue. This case was never reproduced by $Access. We hope the upgrade of $Universe to version 5.2.3 will solve the problem

In despite of this little incident we successfully virtualize a lot of production servers, including oracle servers, essbase servers, SQL servers, IIS servers, citrix servers, "exotic" platforms such as Documentum or Cisco controllers software....

• 3.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 14, 2008 06:49 AM
    We have several installations on virtualized VMWare boxes. We noticed some strange behaviour on some of these boxes. A closer look on the boxes with this behaviour showed us following facts:
    $U works properly on virtualized boxes with two defined CPUs.
    $U has problems on virtualized boxes with only one defined CPU.

So we decided to change all virtualized boxes running with two CPUs.

• 4.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 14, 2008 07:26 AM
    what is your version of VMware ? what version of $Universe ? what do you mean by "strange behaviours" ? I'm quiet interested in sharing experiences on VMware

• 5.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 20, 2008 12:07 PM
    [quote name='couak' post='1102' date='November 14 2008, 01:26 PM']what is your version of VMware ? what version of $Universe ? what do you mean by "strange behaviours" ? I'm quiet interested in sharing experiences on VMware[/quote]

Yes, good questions /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

For the 2 customers I was in contact with about an issue with $U on VMware, it was on ESX.

Kermit, Couak, are you also on ESX?

Are you both running W2003 images?

Michel

• 6.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 21, 2008 03:06 AM
    Yes : I'm using VMware ESX 3.0 for our Production environement and VMware ESXi 3.5u2 for our Development environment

• 7.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 21, 2008 05:29 AM
    Hello,

thanks for the info couak. I checked Kermit incident history, it happened on VMware ESX Server 3.0.1, W2K3.

I'll push the information to Orsyp R&D, knowing that Dollar Universe on non ESX VMware seem to work fine.

Michel

• 8.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 21, 2008 05:46 AM
    [quote name='men' post='1141' date='November 21 2008, 11:29 AM']Hello,

thanks for the info couak. I checked Kermit incident history, it happened on VMware ESX Server 3.0.1, W2K3.

I'll push the information to Orsyp R&D, knowing that Dollar Universe on non ESX VMware seem to work fine.

Michel[/quote]
    I opened a call (which is closed now) where I sent to $Access a DVD containing a Virtual machine with $Universe on W2K3, coming with a massive running jobs once launcher is activated.
    It seems that they've never successfully reproduced the issue... but I don't know what $Access exactly did (i.e. what kind of environment, version of VMware, etc.)
    That's why I asked to close the call : I was too upset about the lack of details after the work I did
    May be they still own the DVD and you can provide it to the R&D
    Be sure you run the virtual machine on ESX environment....

• 9.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Nov 21, 2008 05:48 AM
    Yes, my point exactly!

• 10.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Feb 24, 2009 12:51 PM
    Hello,

Orsyp is now providing templates for VMware jobs.

Please find more information at [url="http://www.orsypforum.com/index.php?showtopic=464"]http://www.orsypforum.com/index.php?showtopic=464[/url]

Michel

• 11.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Oct 01, 2010 10:32 AM
    Hello,

We have more and more customers using DU on VMware (ESX or not) without any problem /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Michel

• 12.  [Solved] $Universe on VMware

Posted Oct 08, 2010 01:06 PM
    Hello,

The problem met by a couple of customers on ESX boxes where some DU processes would consume all CPU on virtual images with 1 virtual CPU, is solved with the new fix delivered on Dollar Universe V5.6 (FX24867) and the activation of new variable U_LOG_LCK_ENABLE that activates enhanced lock management. Tech Support confirmed this solution is not available in lower releases.

Michel