Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Is there a listing of the various activity run states with descriptions anywhere?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 11:32 AM
    For example, a user came to us asking what an "Inconsistent" status means, how a job would get into such a state, etc. This has come up many times before for various states.

This page is available in the help: http://docs.automic.com/documentation/AE/10.0.3/english/AE_WEBHELP/help.htm#ucaaiy.htm?Highlight=inconsistent, but does not address all states with descriptions. It would be very helpful to have a brief explanation for every state that includes the most common reasons a job might enter said state. Am I missing it somewhere else?

Thanks!
    Eric

• 2.  Is there a listing of the various activity run states with descriptions anywhere?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 12:13 PM
    I should have checked my previous support tickets before posting here :smile: . I knew I had asked this question specifically for the status "Inconsistent" in the past, but looks like we might have an RFE in place already to get more robust documentation in place for all the statuses. 

Here is my previous ticket: INC0327318. Maybe someone from Automic side can update us on if this RFE is still outstanding, or has been completed in a later version of the software?

• 3.  Is there a listing of the various activity run states with descriptions anywhere?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 12:19 PM
    For anyone who read my example above (user wondering about what an "Inconsistent" state means), here is a quoted answer from my previously opened support ticket on that particular question, which I assume/hope not everyone would have access to

I generally see this status if the Automation Engine has lost connection to the Database mid execution. In addition, I have also seen this status if the Automation Engine or Database has moved location while jobs are queued/running. 

Most of the time, this is seen after a hard AE crash when the MQ tables were processing requests while the DB was lost. 

This differs from Ended_lost because the AE is able to find the Job/Agent but the data is not consistent with what the database is expecting. 

• 4.  Is there a listing of the various activity run states with descriptions anywhere?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 07:30 AM

Eric,

The documentation excerpt from my point of view shows all stati an active object can get during its period of running and afterwards. Is there any specific status you are missing? Can you give me an example? Maybe you are right and we are missing some detail in description, but for me it looks complete.

• 5.  Is there a listing of the various activity run states with descriptions anywhere?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 01:29 PM
    Harald Heidinger said:

Eric,

The documentation excerpt from my point of view shows all stati an active object can get during its period of running and afterwards. Is there any specific status you are missing? Can you give me an example? Maybe you are right and we are missing some detail in description, but for me it looks complete.

Hi Harald,

It's not that statuses are missing, but that they are not all described. For example, this page gives no details about what an "Inconsistent" status means. The page is divided into 2 sections. The top is pretty thorough, but the bottom has some gaps in information. It would be great to have all of the possible statuses filled in with what they mean and an example of how an active object might enter the state.