Keld_Mollnitz

NetArea vs Proxy

Discussion created by Keld_Mollnitz on Sep 8, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 by Keld_Mollnitz
Hi there,

to my knowledge Automic supports and delivers two different ways of connecting various components such as Agents and UserInterfaces to the Automation Engine.

The documentation describes the two 'solutions' like this:

NetArea
Net Areas in UC4 Communication processes (CPs ) are used to connect certain components (such as agents and UserInterfaces) with the work processes (WPs ) and to handle their communication. The CP selection for the individual components takes place automatically and is workload-dependent. In a UC4 system that uses several CPs you can distribute the CPs over several areas and in doing so, you can manipulate the CP selection. Ideally, each area represents a certain network.

Proxy:
Different components such as agents, dialogs (UserInterface), and APIs (CallAPI, JavAPI) connect to the server component of the Automation Engine (referred to as the "Automation Engine" from Version 9). A dedicated connection to the communication processes (CPs) of the server component is set up for each component. Each of these connections must be specifically permitted when using a firewall, which involves increased configuration effort.
The Proxy application allows you to combine the CP connections of the Automation Engine (AE) components (agents, dialogs, etc.) into one connection and reverse the direction in which the connection was set up. This requires an instance of the Proxy on both the component and server
side.

We are today using NetArea but I am a little in doubt whether I should use the Proxy component instead. Can anyone explain the difference, what are the pros and cons ?
Does anyone have any experience with using NetArea or Proxy??

Best regards
Keld Møllnitz.

Outcomes