Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Exporting Job Logs out of the UC4 server

Posted Dec 08, 2015 11:45 AM
    We are currently in the process of migrating across from TWS to UC4. In our old scheduler we had macros that interrogated all of the logs produced by jobs to look for keywords such as ERROR. In UC4 all the reports/logs are kept internally within the system but we haven't found a way of exporting those files out to our application server. It seems to be that the logs are created on our server whilst the jobs are running, but once it finished that file is deleted and the report can only be looked at via the UC$ user interface. What we have also noticed is that very large logs are not deleted from our server but remain there, as the report on the UC$ server maxes out at something like 50 pages. Are the parameters in the server.ini file Located in the uc4 directories on each client server) significant? Is there a parameter we can set that will write out all logs to our server?

• 2.  Exporting Job Logs out of the UC4 server

Posted Dec 08, 2015 01:49 PM
    You may want to look at using the Job object's operating system tab, such as UNIX or WINDOWS and check the Job report File attribute.  This will cause the report to be placed "permanently" on the Agent where it executed.  

Choosing to do so however exposes you to all of the associated management issues regarding files on a server, directory space, purging, permissions and such.

It is usually easier to manage these reports in UC4's database as a single source.  Also, the naming of the files on the server have a not readily discernible name and it will need to be converted using the RUNNR2ALPHA script function (I did this a long time ago and hope that I'm remembering correctly).

You can use the Post Process tab logic to "interrogate logs produced by jobs to look for keywords such as ERROR" by using the PREP_PROCESS_REPORT functions.  We do this often using Include objects to perform generalized review of the reports.  There is also the Output Scan tab that can perform this type of automated review.

We are on V8 and I think there are even more options available on more current versions.