SamahSohrab607228

client/server IP configuration suggestions

Discussion created by SamahSohrab607228 on Feb 25, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 by laura_albrecht_automic
Hi,

We normally run our automation engine with two servers (multiple WPs and CPs on each) and those host names are hardcoded in the agent and user client config files. Last night our system crashed and when we tried to bring up one of the servers we kept getting a db error. So we left it for analysis and brought up a third server to replace it. At that point realizing that none of the clients would be able to connect to it, because of the different hostname/ip.

So now I'm thinking if there is a better way to setup the configuration to make changing the servers or bringing up more transparent to both the agents and the users. This is especially relevant to us as we are running in AWS and if the instance goes down, it's unlikely to get the same one back (that isn't what happened in this case). We have over a hundred users, and updating the config file on their personal machines is a manual process.

I was thinking about putting a single DNS entry with mutliple ips, but I'm not sure about how to handle the port assignments.  I was also thinking about an ELB.

Any suggestions on how to make this transparent? Any ideas from what others are doing?

Thanks
Samah

Outcomes