Michael_Lowry

Several lines of job process content spontaneously reverted to old version

Discussion created by Michael_Lowry on Feb 26, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 by lbarroso
While editing a UNIX job (JOBS object) today, I encountered a problem I’d never seen before. I was editing one part of the script, and when I was done, I saved my changes and ran the job. Immediately the job failed with FAULT_OTHER, because a variable was not defined. When I looked at the variable name I was surprised to find that it was an old name that has not been used since the middle of last week. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that about 5 lines of the Process tab in an entirely different part of the script from the part I had been editing had been spontaneously reverted to an older revision of the object. (We have version control enabled.) The rest of the script appeared to be unaffected. I copied and pasted the correct lines from a more recent revision and the job ran fine. In several years of working with the Automation Engine, this is the first time I have seen anything like this. I imagine the problem would be very difficult to reproduce in a controlled way. The really dangerous aspect of this problem is that only some lines of the process tab spontaneously changed back to the lines from the old version of the object. Other changes made since the old revision were not reverted. (I had to go through 351 lines of code to make sure that no other lines were changed.) Because problem affects only part of the process tab content, it could be very hard to detect and identify. We are running V9 SP12. Has anyone else observed this problem?

Outcomes