laura_albrecht_automic

Active Directory

Discussion created by laura_albrecht_automic on Sep 8, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 by AlainMoisy
Hi.  Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has any thoughts / comments on this.  I've searched the HELP and the Community and Knowledge Base, but aren't really finding what I'm looking for, so my guess is that Automic does not support this, but wanted to verify.

As you know in the Automation Engine for security you create users and then to make management easier, put them in user groups.  Lots of ways to make this slightly less of an administrative nightmare.  For one - you can make your system LDAP-enabled so that you don't have to manually reset passwords and such.  When a user logs in they authenticate against Active Directory and that's it.  Nice.

I'm being asked here if Automic can support using Active Directory even more by using security groups within AD to  manage access within Automic.  The end result being that I do a one time create of user groups, but then (this is all theory at this point) I do not create users.  Automic would sync with Active Directory and find the members of the groups and create the users as needed - or perhaps not create the users just put them in the appropriate groups - I don't know.  The point being - it sounds like they want to move management of security of the application out of the scheduling team and let the security team worry about it.

Pretty cool I guess, but from what I've seen I don't think Automic supports this model.  Has anyone else wondered about this, made inquiries about this, know anything that might be coming in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Laura

Outcomes