AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

• 1.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 08, 2016 10:42 AM

Some sections of the v12 documentation are not listed in the table of contents in the left-hand sidebar. Other pages (including complete chapters and sections) are missing.

• 2.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 18, 2016 04:34 AM
    I have updated the original post to include additional examples. For each orphaned or missing page, I have included a link to the corresponding page in the v11 documentation.

• 3.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 24, 2016 09:53 AM
    Michael,

The Topics from "Inside Automation Engine" were moved to "
    Administration Guide > Administering the Automation Engine"

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Admin/admin_sections.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdministration%2520Guide%7CAdministering%2520the%2520Automation%2520Engine%7C_____0

The Topic about UserInterface will get obsolete within the future since the Java GUI is not maintained anymore, while the installation procedure for the java UI is still available, most of help topics regarding it were removed on purpose.

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AE_AWA_Source/Installation/ucaakg.htm?Highlight=UserInterface

Anyhow the documentation of Version 11.2 is still available containing the information you need.

Hope it helps

• 4.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 24, 2016 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the reply, Harald_Heidinger_152.

Harald Heidinger wrote:
    The Topics from Inside Automation Engine were moved to
    Administration Guide > Administering the Automation Engine
    Some topics were moved, but many parts of the Inside Automation Engine guide are missing or orphaned. E.g.,
    I hope Automic will restore these sections of the documentation. The missing sections are among the most useful and informative parts of the documentation.

Harald Heidinger also wrote:
    The Topic about UserInterface will get obsolete within the future since the Java GUI is not maintained anymore, while the installation procedure for the java UI is still available, most of help topics regarding it were removed on purpose.
    Anyhow the documentation of Version 11.2 is still available containing the information you need.
    I understand that the Java User Interface is deprecated. However, as long as the product is still supported*, up-to-date documentation should be provided. If v12 of the Java UI is functionally identical to v11, then the v12 AWA documentation should at least include a top-level page entitled Java User Interface stating the fact that the Java UI has not been updated since v11, and providing a link to the v11 Java UI documentation.

* The Java User Interface must be fully fully documented until it is no longer supported. It must be supported until the Web User Interface delivers the same level of capability.

• 5.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 28, 2016 07:47 AM
    Michael,

I apologize if i didnt follow all your links now but these mentioned below can be found now on different places within documentation.

Executing Objects:
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Executions/obj_Executing_overview.htm%3FTocPath%3DUser%2520Guide%7CExecuting%2520Objects%7C_____0

Agents (in a different form)
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Objects/Agents.htm?Highlight=Agents

Stages of Job Processing (in a different form)
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Objects/obj_job_Stages.htm?Highlight=stages%20of%20job%20processing

As mentioned above, i didnt check all of them yet, but yes, they were moved to other places within documentation.

Of course it is worth to discuss if the "old" structure was better than the new one, but the decision of Product Design team was to re-design documentation and its topics, and of course there can be the opinion that the old structure was "better" or more intuitive. And yes, of course, if anything is orphaned or not existing at all, which should exist, then it should be corrected.

Since the Java UI in version 12 should be seen as a temporary solution which should be replaced fully with Version 12 AWI as soon as all function is available, the decision was, not to add the description of it within documentation. The Java UI in version 12 has the technical status of Version 11.2 therefore the reference within 11.2 documentation, which is available, and will be available for long time still, you can use the documentation from there if you need any help on this.

You can still add a feature request to ask if it can be given back to the documentation also in Version 12 via ideas.automic.com.

• 6.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 28, 2016 09:02 AM
    Harald_Heidinger_152: The new organization scheme certainly leaves room for improvement.

The old Inside Automation Engine guide provided a logical place for documentation related to the workings of the Automation Engine. Now these documents are scattered throughout other sections of the documentation (or omitted entirely in the case of the Java User Interface). I would like to point out that functions that are independent of the user interface should not be categorized under headings like Process Assembly Perspective. That is, Automation Engine documentation should not be hidden under categories related to the Automic Web Interface.

The documentation team appears to have been motivated by a desire to give the impression that the Java User Interface is no longer needed, that it is irrelevant, or that it is actually not a part of the AWA suite. I understand that there is an incentive to move in the strategic direction chosen by product management. However, the AWI is not yet an adequate replacement for the JUI. Pretending won’t make it so.

I did not realize that product enhancement requests were the correct way to provide documentation feedback. I would not want to bother the product managers with what are only documentation issues. I feel sure that they are busy enough with actual product requests.

Lastly, there seem to be broader problems with the documentation today. The v12 AWA docs are currently inaccessible.
    The following content could not be found:            
    • Documentation: Documentation - AWA Guides
    • Version: 12.0
    • Language: english

• 7.  Orphaned & missing v12 documentation pages

Posted Nov 28, 2016 09:20 AM
    Harald Heidinger wrote:
    You can still add a feature request to ask if it can be given back to the documentation also in Version 12 via ideas.automic.com.
    I submitted PMPER-1783 for this.