Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Message types

Posted Nov 18, 2016 04:15 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Sep 26, 2023 07:30 AM

The Automation Engine messages file uc.msl contains seven types of messages. Particularly if one uses the AE Java Application Interface, one is likely to encounter messages of all types. Only a few message types are documented (in the v11 User Guide).

In an incident back in 2014, I asked Automic Support for a description of the other message types. Here is a summary of the response I received.

Message type Description
    A Cancel/Abort
    C Control — fixed messages and headlines
    D Control — messages for server
    E Error
    I Information
    Q Question
    W Warning

• 2.  Message types

Posted May 15, 2017 05:28 AM

These types are defined the UC_MSGT table. You can list them using this query.

select * from UC_MSGT

• 3.  Message types

Posted Nov 02, 2017 12:13 PM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Sep 26, 2023 07:29 AM
    The AE v12.1 Java Application Interface documentation for the MessageBox class — specifically, for the getType() method — now includes complete descriptions of the message types.
    Type Description
    I Info message. An info message means that there was no error.
    E Error message, if a message box with "E" is returned the request was not executed successfully.
    A Abort, same meaning as E (error).
    W Warning. In this case the response can be empty or truncated. A search which returns too many rows is one case where a message box with type "W" is returned in addition to the data.
    Q Question. In many cases this can be solved by re-sending the API request with different parameters. Example: Opening an object which has already been opened by another user returns U4006501 Object '&01' is being edited by user '&03' since '&02'. \Do you want to open it for read only? To open the object read only (= reply yes) the OpenObject request should be sent with the read only flag set.
    C Caption, this type is used for labels and menu items. It is normally not used in message boxes.