Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 08:43 AM
    Hi.  I'm trying to setup a "generic" job and running into issues.  The HELP isn't very clear / doesn't provide specific examples of how to set this up.  I thought it'd be pretty simple, but must be missing something.

I created a variable object that has a combination of UNIX & Windows agents listed.  I created a script that does a PREP_PROCESS_VAR through the variable and then does a PUT_READ_BUFFER on the agent name and then ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT my generic job.

I found one reference from

Michael A. Lowry

indicating that PUT_ATT wasn't needed, but I am still running into errors.

6/2/2017 7:38:57 AM -  U00007073 Error during generation. A Job object of the type GENERIC has to contain a variable &AGENT# or &OVERWRITE_AGENT#.

My variable name is &AGENT# so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Can anyone point me in a direction here?  I've never used this object before - just exploring new functionality.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 10:26 AM
    One of these script vars - in my case &AGENT#   MUST be defined in Variables & Prompts Tab.

then it works.

took me one or two hours to find that out.....

thx @ Automic

• 3.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 11:10 AM
    It has been a while since I tried it, but I believe it works like this: If the object variable &AGENT# or &OVERWRITE_AGENT# is set in the parent workflow or job pre-process tab, then the job will run on this agent. I’ll play around with it next week if I get time. I recall the documentation was not much help!

• 4.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 11:24 AM
    Pre_process tab did not work for me last time :-(

I wanted to do a prep_process_agentgroup......

• 5.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 11:28 AM
    Thanks FrankMuffke  &

Michael A. Lowry

.  I added &AGENT# to the Variables & Prompts tab on the script object.  I also removed the PUT_READ_BUFFER statement in the script and the READ statement in the job.  As long as you use the PASS_VALUES in the ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT statement - those other statements aren't needed.  So that did the trick!  Thanks for your help!!

• 6.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 11:33 AM
    you 're welcome :-)

its a bit strange to use this thing.....

• 7.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Jun 02, 2017 11:46 AM
    I had to learn this the hard way too; The requirement to pre-define the variable outside of the script so that PASS_VALUES will be able to pass it.

The documentation under ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT says PASS_VALUES "...forces all values to be passed on, regardless of the individual task's settings".   Their use of "all values" is misleading.

• 8.  GENERIC jobs

Posted Feb 15, 2018 05:29 AM

The v11.2 documentation of Generic Jobs describes the &AGENT# variable, and the release notes also mentions the &OVERWRITE_AGENT# variable (although no explanation is offered of the distinction).

The v12.1 and v12.0 documentation no longer mention the &AGENT# or &OVERWRITE_AGENT# variable at all. I could find no description in the v12.x documentation of how to use Generic jobs.