Christian_Boeck_57

Work process utilization (Type W)

Discussion created by Christian_Boeck_57 on Jun 29, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 by Antoine_Sauteron_1266
We have a business need to perform multiple activations during a short interval of time, less than 1 min intervals. We can think of this as concurrent processing, the same object being activated multiple times. 

What is the recommended method of accomplishing this task? I'm concerned that adding this to our PROD environment will cause performance issues 

Here is what I have tried, and the results. Using 6 "W" WPs for the UC4 configuration in an idle upgrade test system except for this test scenario 
1. I tried using the EVENT with a 1 min interval and multiple activations within the wakeup interval 
a) Activated 3 events, each performing a ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT for the same object within the same activation interval for the event 
- Performing the activation 5 times within each event (15 activation per min), generated a WP utilization on average across all "W" WPs of 10% 
- Performing the activation 10 times within each event (30 activation per min), generated a WP utilization on average across all "W" WPs of 26% 
2. I tried using the "ForEach" type of workflow to perform the looping and activated the object multiple times this way instead of the event 
- Activating the same numbers as above, generated similar results relating the "W" WPs utilization 

Note: I had the Unix Admin check the resource consumption on both the UC4 DB server and the UC4 APP server. No resource issues at the server level for memory or CPU 

Also - I increased my "W" WPs from 4 to 6 (added 2) to see how it would distribute the load and it dropped by 8%, which are the numbers you see above. Is there a calculation for optimizing the number of WPs brought up with the UC4 startup, and is there a limit? 

Outcomes