Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  AWA, NonStop Server (NWP) , Is it true to say that only the WPs of one computer are active?

Posted Jul 09, 2017 08:13 AM
    Dear Community,

Is it true that only the WPs of one computer are active in a given AE syatem ( even when we have 5 node farm of servers)? Will the WP(s) of all other nodes be in nWP(s)?

I’m confused with this instruction on the documentation regarding NonStop Server operation (NWP).  Can someone already used the feature explain this with little more details.

qefyuab85835.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/m4/qefyuab85835.png" width="770">

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.0/DOCU/12.0/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AE_AWA_Source/Administration/ucabnr.htm 

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/11.2/AE/11.2/All%20Guides/help.htm#ucabnr.htm%3FTocPath%3DInside%2520Automation%2520Engine%7CMulti-Server%2520Operation%7C_____6

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/ALL/components/AE/10/All%20Guides/help.htm#ucabnr.htm%3FTocPath%3DInside%2520Automation%2520Engine%7CMulti-Server%2520Operation%7C_____5

Can we ever run 4  nodes AE system where  two AE nodes are operates as normal mode [ all WP(s) on both nodes are active] and the other two nodes are operating as NonStop Server [ all WP(s) on both nodes are NWP mode] . So the any of the AE node with normal operation failed , one of the NonStop Server Nodes WP(s) will comes active? 

Rgds,

IP

• 2.  AWA, NonStop Server (NWP) , Is it true to say that only the WPs of one computer are active?

Posted Jul 09, 2017 11:41 PM

Dear Indika,

the processes on the NWP node ("the other computer") have to be started - from a technical view they are active. But because of the license model they will not run any batch operation.

The processes will wait for the failover, then change to WP mode and take over the existing workload.

The typical scenario for the "non stop" implementation is a 2 computer environment - similar to an active-passive clustering setup.

regards,

Peter

• 3.  AWA, NonStop Server (NWP) , Is it true to say that only the WPs of one computer are active?

Posted Jul 10, 2017 03:42 AM

Dear peter_grundler_automic

Thank you for the response.

I fully understand the typical 2 node scenario where the one node is active and the other is in active-standby(NWP). The document is written by assuming that scenario is what guess and due to the fact ,Unfortunately we cannot figured-out how exactly this feature help in providing high-availability in slightly complex scenarios. 

You know, everyone preferred on distributing workloads on multiple of small servers than on few big fat servers today due to various benefits ( mostly on  cloud environments ). Deploy to multiple availability zones with minimum( or one)  node to take initial switch over workload and then provision more nodes as per job processing demand ( may be as per the job schedule timing  etc) .

So , I'm trying to understand when it come to more than two nodes scenario .  4 nodes AE system. 2 node in Active and 2 on active-standby(NWP) mode scenario . Basically 2 AE node licenses and 2 NWP license. 

My assumption is that,One of the Active node(very first node), one WP will assume as pWP ( usually the very first WP started in the AE system and connected to the DB).

and all the remaining WP(s) on two active nodes will then be active and do the job processing as per its role. (However as per the document only one node WP(s) can be active).

and all the remaining  WP(s) on two active-standby(NWP ) nodes will be in NWP(s) mode andwill notdo any job processing. and they are waiting for active node(s) to fail to be assume as active node. Document says "If the primary computer that includes the active WPs fails, the nonstop processes take over their role" . However it does not describe what it means by "primary computer fails", is it that pWP of the node fails. or all WP(s) fails or all CP(s) and WP(s) fails . or the node not reachable from the NWP node over IP ( but node may be running still). or the node is completely down etc..

Rgds,

IP

• 4.  AWA, NonStop Server (NWP) , Is it true to say that only the WPs of one computer are active?

Posted Jul 11, 2017 04:38 AM

So , I'm trying to understand when it come to more than two nodes scenario .  4 nodes AE system. 2 node in Active and 2 on active-standby(NWP) mode scenario . Basically 2 AE node licenses and 2 NWP license.

Hi Indika,

I have never worked with a configuration like this and I'm not sure if it will work because from my understanding a NWP will only switch to WP if the active node is no longer available. In your case you have to terminate both active AE nodes (#1 and 2) to see ONE of the NWPs changing to WP. The second remaining computer will still run NWP processes. They will switch to WP as soon as node #3 is no longer available. So at the end you will have one machine running the entire workload.

regards,

Peter

• 5.  AWA, NonStop Server (NWP) , Is it true to say that only the WPs of one computer are active?

Posted Jul 11, 2017 04:39 AM

My assumption is that,One of the Active node(very first node), one WP will assume as pWP ( usually the very first WP started in the AE system and connected to the DB).

this is correct.

• 6.  AWA, NonStop Server (NWP) , Is it true to say that only the WPs of one computer are active?

Posted Jul 12, 2017 05:47 AM

Thank you for the clarification peter_grundler_automic

I’m still not fully understand how NonStop Server operation  work, so it is difficult to design solutions with this feature ( I know it is a job of the Automic professional services job ) . I’m sure , there should be someone in the community who used this feature with in advance environments and appreciate if someone can share there knowledge  .

Rgds,

IP