Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  User Catalog broken in 12.1 ?

Posted Oct 05, 2017 08:42 AM
    Greetings and Salutations, fellow Universal Commanders (erm ... it's a UC4 pun ...)

I feel like I am missing something here, but if so, I can't figure out what.

The User Catalog used to be a USRG-based thing where you linked objects in UC4 Explorer into the USRG's respective folder, and they would appear in the user catalog for all users of that group. This seems broken in 12.1. Anyone else seen this yet, or has experienced the contrary?

28wxebzcf7yi.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/fw/28wxebzcf7yi.png" width="466">

• 2.  User Catalog broken in 12.1 ?

Posted Oct 10, 2017 10:02 AM
    Follow up.

I found the problem, the user catalog is not broken. We had a "NOT" permission in another group the user had, which matched and inhibited the display of the item.

However, during this testing, I discovered the following quirks which may be of interest for those wanting to make use of the Catalog:

• all (personal) favorites will also appear as Catalog items for that user (I find this odd and confusing)
    • the terminology is wildly mixed between "Catalog" and "Group Favorites" (confusing ...)
    • when you remove such personal favorites, the Catalog will not update immediately, it takes a while and a few refreshes
    • if an admin adds new Catalog items for a user group, users in that user group will need to re-login to see those items (probably the same for deleting items, which might make this a security consideration, too)
    • you can NOT use the context menu to link items in Explorer into the catalog groups. You can drag and drop them, though, this will create a shortcut. This may become an issue when the explorer tree is longer than the screen height, remains to be seen ...
    • Admins (?) seem to see all Catalog items of all other groups ... confusing, and might lead to very overcrowded Catalogs for them
    • and something I consider an acutal bug (reported as part of INC00138938): The privilege "
      Manage Favourites on UserGroup Level" does not seem to be enforced - I am able to link things into other user groups catalog folders without having that privilege.

(edit) apparently the priveledge does SOMETHING, but is a miss-nomer: with it, one can link items intoANY group's group catalog. Without it, one can link itemsONLY into group catalogs one is himself a member of. So if one is a member of all groups, there isno discernible difference.