Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Nov 23, 2017 05:41 AM
    This question came up in a recent support inquiry :
    We need to use nested workflows which include 3--4 inner workflows. For monitoring, we need to use block+abort signal property in task properties so we can see from top if a job blocked the workflows.
    But the problem is when we solve the problem and restart the job , inner workflow finished with ended-ok but outer workflow still stays blocked *status.
    So is there any way to see the blocked jobs from upper levels of workflows or can wee continue upper workflows after restarting the jobs in them?

I don't think it's possible out of the box, therefore I'm posting the question here in hope of getting inputs from other users.

Simple scenario that demonstrates the issue:

JOBS.UNIX.BORN.TO.FAILis designed to end abnormally:

lkyd4xwwq0dn.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/lb/lkyd4xwwq0dn.png" width="896">

It's nested in JOBP.WITH.FAILING.UNIX.JOB. The 'End' block of the workflow has a dependency stating that the job should end OK, else block and send abort signal to parent.

reexpw7ojbft.png

JOBP.WITH.FAILING.UNIX.JOB is nested in JOBP.PARENT.

Behavior :

When the Unix job fails, JOBP.WITH.FAILING.UNIX.JOB is also blocked.

If a "block" dependency is set : unblocking the job will also unblock the workflow.
    If "block+abort" dependency is used : every task that was blocked in the process will also have to be unblocked.

Expectation :

Is there a way to let the top workflow know that one of its nested tasks has failed, and have the processing take over after unblocking only the affected task/job ?

Best regards,
    Antoine

• 2.  Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Nov 27, 2017 11:04 AM
    They are suggesting that a successful job restart will not allow successors to run.   The only way I can think of this occurring is perhaps they used "ENDED_OK" instead of "ANY_OK" on one of their relationship rules?

• 3.  Re: Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Jun 20, 2018 10:08 AM

We are seeing the same behavior on 12.0.4. Was any resolution found for this?

• 4.  Re: Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Jan 23, 2019 03:30 PM

Was there any resolution or additional information about this problem?

With 12.2.0 we are facing the same issue with nested workflows were if Level 3 JOBP has multiple Action steps defined and when one of those steps in Level 3 Blocks then only direct parent (Level 2 JOBP) show as BLOCKED, while top parent (Level 1 JOBP) will still show as ACTIVE.

Unfortunately we don't have access to v10 or v11 system to validate if the same jobs status propagation behavior was there, but I think with v11 and v10 Top Parent workflow would always show BLOCKED if one of the steps in nested workflow happened to be BLOCKED.

• 5.  Re: Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Jan 28, 2019 11:31 AM

We are V11.2 and I have observed that only the immediate workflow will show as blocked.  If the workflow is nested, the parent workflow always shows as active despite it waiting on a task that is blocked.  

• 6.  Re: Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Jan 28, 2019 05:59 PM

Thank you for feedback on AWA/AE v11.2 behavior.

We are also running v12.2 ARA/CDA with the Automation Engine.

I wounder if ARA Execution status in the pre v12.2 version was updated to Blocked state for any blocked Actions (JOBP Level 3) on Components (JOBP Level2).

ARA Execution has its own ID in ARA side of system but also has relationship with top Parent RunID (JOBP Level1).

From our internal customers perspective ARA Execution status is what they normally go by to determine if closer monitoring/inspection is required. If it shows Active, they assume all is well progressing.

I found AWA and AE community usually have more experience with dealing with Automation Engine issues/bugs, so it usually my first option for feedback along with Automic Support.

Thanks,

Vlad_N

• 7.  Re: Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Jan 28, 2019 02:38 PM

We are on V11.2.10 and see the same behavior as described by petwir

• 8.  Re: Nested Workflow Block - Abort Signal Problem

Posted Feb 11, 2019 02:27 PM

We are going through an upgrade so I ran thru this test on a working workflow on version 12.2 just to verify and the workflow worked as Pete has exclaimed. It had an active status on the parent workflow and blocked on the internal. Once I unblocked the task it ran like normal.