We are using container technologies such as Docker more and more. Although Automic provides some tools for working with Docker images & containers from inside AWA and ARA, Automic does not provide any tools or guidance for running its own software inside Docker. We would like this to change. After all, the AE is just another app. To this end, I created a new enhancement request:
My idea is that Automic would put together and maintain a standard set of base Docker images that can be used to run Automic software applications, including the Automation Engine, the AE Agents, and the Automic Web Interface. These docker images would be treated as a supported platform.
The advantages of running applications in Docker are many, but the the most salient to us are:
- Continuous development, testing, & integration
- Standardization & portability
Providing standard base Docker images would yield several advantages to Automic as well, most related to the ability to quickly, consistently, and reliably spin up Automic applications in containers. Here are just a few use cases:
- Developers: test environments for testing bug fixes and new versions
- Sales staff: demo systems for customers
- Consultants: test and development environments, to reduce reliance on the client’s infrastructure
- Instructors: classroom environments
If you like the idea, please vote for it.