Carsten_Schmitz

PSA: 10.0.3 to 12.1+HF3 experience/caveats from our test environment (RH/Oracle Linux 7, Oracle 12)

Discussion created by Carsten_Schmitz on Jan 22, 2018
Howdy.

We updated our test environment from 10 to 12.1, rolled out AWI and moved to entirely new servers (because Red Hat) with new IP addresses last Tuesday. Now that the dust has settled, here's some of the new and exciting issues we encountered. Maybe it helps someone else out. I should possibly also ticket these, but in all honestly I'm not yet sure I can be bothered unless others encounter these issues, too. So let me know if you do.

  • first off: because our Oracle database guys were a bit stingy with new databases, we cloned our DB tables into a new "scheme" in the same database, and the import was performed into "Oracle Secure Files", which were not used before. I can confirm that this works without obviously related problems (unless someone claims the two following issues were related to this, but I don't believe so).

  • Issue 1: The JCPs did not start initially with errors such as:

    U00003590 UCUDB - DB error: '42000', 'ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended
    LSyntaxErrorException'
        SQL Statement which caused this DB error:
        create table MQ1CP007 as select * from MQ1CP001 where 0=1;ALTER TABLE MQ1CP007 [...]

    The solution here is to break those statements up at the semicolon and execute them one by one. Luckily the log contains the entirety of the SQL statements, so you can easily do that. The Oracle guys tell me sqlplus can not have multiple statements per line, and probably the (presumably sqlplus-based) libraries used by Automic can't either.

  • Issue 2: Due to the emergence of JCP, we ended up with more CP than we had on the old system. New CP seem to get database objects with new names (probably because of the Zero Downtime Upgrade). Each CP has an associated Oracle "sequence" object. For some reason, it appears the old sequences for the formerly existing CP got converted to the new names, but for the extra CP, no sequences were created. This results in:

    U00003590 UCUDB - DB error: 'OCIStmtExecute', 'ERROR   ', '', 'ORA-02289: sequence does not exist'

    The solution is again to fire up sqlplus and manually execute:

    create sequence SQ_MQ1CP007;
    create sequence SQ_MQ1CP008;
    [...]

    One for each missing sequence for the sequences in the numeric ... erm ... sequence :)

    I did not need extra permissions to do this, and used the AE account, so I'm not sure why the upgrade didn't perform this step.

  • Issue 3: Our newly installed version 12 SAP agents didn't work, with no good error message. The reason was, the SAP agents needs a subdirectory called "out" *) (on the same directory level as "bin", "lib"). The .tar.gz does not contain this directory, and the documentation does not call for it to be created (as far as I found). For this one, I already filed an incident.

    *) edit: this may be something specific to our site, as we may have this configured in the ini files, which were taken from the old installation.
Apart from these minor annoyances (and of course this exciting and still ongoing occurence), and some unrelated issues with load balancers and SSL quirks, the update and server move worked mostly as expected.

Edit: Also this.

Best,
Carsten

Outcomes