Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Period object not passing values to workflow

Posted Feb 08, 2018 04:23 AM
    Hello,

Here is my scenario ...

I have a generic workflow containing 1 generic job.
    I call this workflow from the post process of another job using ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT and PASS_VALUES set.  In the pre process tab of this job I declare and assign values to be used in the generic workflow e.g. &LOGIN# and &UNIX_AGENT#.
    This works fine and the job inside the generic workflow can see and use these variables when the job executes.

If I try and pass in a PERIOD when using ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT, when the workflow/job activates it cannot access the variables passed down?

Is this behavior to be expected?

Cheers,

Dan.

• 2.  Period object not passing values to workflow

Posted Feb 08, 2018 04:31 AM
    When started with a PERIOD, the object probably get's a "period container" as it's parent.

Nut sure, but a clue to the explaination may be hiding in here:

"The value of the script variable that is set with :PSET will never be passed on to a Schedule or Period Container."

I suspect this restriction applies to your variable inheritance scenario as well?

Best regards,
    Carsten

• 3.  Period object not passing values to workflow

Posted Feb 08, 2018 04:40 AM
    Cheers Carsten,

Yeah I guess that will do it then :)

That has scuppered me a bit I have to admit ....

So is there anyway to have the same workflow attached to a period using different credentials for the login and agent for example?

The only way I can think of is that when we call the workflow we call it with an alias ..
    Upon execution of the workflow it uses that alias (if it can found out what its alias is...) to read a variable object containing all the environment specific values and initiates all the variables in the process of the workflow...

Cheers,

Dan.

• 4.  Period object not passing values to workflow

Posted Feb 08, 2018 05:31 AM
    So is there anyway to have the same workflow attached to a period using different credentials for the login and agent for example?
    I honestly don't know. It may be possible to set the host based on a value read from a VARA object, if your object to be activated is set to "generate at runtime" and you do it in pre-process. You could write it into that VARA object before you do the ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT. Not sure if that would even work though, you'd have to try it.

If anyone else has more insights, please do weigh in.

Best regards,
    Carsten