Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 15, 2018 07:05 AM
    Hi,
    I recently upgraded to V12.1.1 HF 1 from 12.0.1.

I just wanted to share with the community a few bugs I have discovered so far that may help if you intend upgrading to this release in the near future.

1. JSCH  Issue
    Users got an error when trying to edit the JSCH object. 
    This only seems happened for certain users.
    Workaround is to recycle tomcat, which isn't ideal. It also does re-occur so several recycles required so far. (PRB00221229)

2. LOGIN Issue
    Some Applications UNIX Jobs failed with                                                                                                                   
    "Start Impossible"  00015009 Client: '0001', Login object: '***', Host: 'YYY', Login info: 'ZZZ' has a password > 20 characters or contains a comma.         

Apparently because there is a new LOGIN object, the UNIX agent needs to be the same version as Engine or Jobs will start to fail. I didn't upgrade my UNIX agents as I didn't think I needed to. Was going to do it at a later date. An alternative solution is to recreate the LOGIN object.

We are in he early days of our upgrade so I'm sure I will find others, will post here.

John.

• 2.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 15, 2018 07:13 AM
    JohnO'Mullane

You are more blessed than we are :) My colleague also reported the issue about opening JSCH, but his incident (INC00221500) never amounted to a PRB, because the problem went away after a few days (presumably it expires out of a Tomcat cache after some time).

I got a very similar problem also opening statistic .. statist ... staaaaaa ... I mean Executions. I got error
    "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!". For that one, I have INC00221136 still open, even though that issue also went away on it's own after a few days.

I will later also post a list of our issues found so far.

Best regards,
    Carsten

• 3.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 15, 2018 07:52 AM
    So I guess here we go then. This is all for V12.1 upward unless otherwise noted.

I probably forgot a few, and I typed this off of an executive summary in another language, so if anyone needs more details, I can probably provide them on request. You can safely assume that all PRB have been replicated by Automic, while most INC are still up for analysis or discussion.

Several of these have their own threads already, but I'm to lazy right now to link them :)

I list some things that are problems in 12.1.x but are fixed in 12.1.1+hf2 also, because maybe someone reading this list is helped by that, too.

Issue: File events on Unix throw error messages ("corrupted account")
    Reported as: INC00219412, PRB00220743
    State: continues to be defect with any 12.x agent, and 11.x agent also, in processing, no ETA
    Workarround: use agent 10.x (only good until October)

Issue: JOBF fails to write files on UNIX if permissions are based on supplementary UNIX group
    Reported as: INC00218979, PRB00216843
    State: in processing, no ETA

Issue: JOBF hangs forever if instructed to "erase source files" on UNIX
    Reported as: INC00218766, PRB00216843
    State: in processing, no ETA

Issue: GET_FILESYSTEM FREESPACE always returns zero
    Reported as: INC00219303, PRB00219855
    State: in processing, no ETA. Broken in V11 also.

Issue: various problems opening statistics, schedulers across multiple browsers
    Reported as: INC00221500, INC00221136
    State: one pending a new instance of the problem, one where Mr. Schmitz is stubornly still fighting to have it turned into a PRB eventhough the problem seems to go away after a while
    Workarround: possibly recycle(?) Tomcat as per JohnO'Mullane - have not tried

Issue: SAP Agent V12.1.1 crashed during ZDU update
    Reported as: INC00221288
    State: turned into a PRB, but not holding breath because no replicatability, which seemingly makes it hard to get through with development

Issue: Windows agent 12.1.1 would crash when rotating large logs
    Reported as: INC00220352
    State: fixed with 12.1.1+hf2

Issue: Windows agent 12.1.1+hf2 writes a log file with just two lines when rotating large logs, so you may end up with just half the amount of effective logs you'd expect
    Reported as: INC0020352
    State: in progress, no ETA

Issue: Context menu sometimes takes 15, 20 seconds to appear
    Reported as: INC00220496
    State: in diagnosis, unfortunately not readily reproducible but sporadic occurence

Issue: deleted entries still show up in search results
    Reported as: idk right now, but it has an incident number somewhere :)
    State: we purged the JWP cache over a webex session, that made the problem go away. Sadly, this means it's not reproducible anymore, so it's currently not being followed up on anymore

Issue: various other problems with search, specificially with clicking "all results" on Tasks (aka activities) and/or them not showing in the quick filter for the former "Activity Window" (the formerly nameless screen area in AWI now called "Hugo", as per FrankMuffke :)
    Reported as: INC00221295
    State: in analysis, Automic support will create at least one additional incident from this for a separate, but related issue

Issue: multiple issues (and a feature request) regarding "create new object" dialog upon right-click in workflows
    Reported as: PRB00220895

Issue: erronous occurence of "Permission denied" when opening reports via Executions (as oposed to "view last report") when the job in question has an Alias name
    Reported as: PRB00220734

Issue: Script function "LENGTH()" was able to be used on wrong datatype (string instead of array) pre-V12, behaviour silently changed in V12.x, but new behaviour also not logical
    Reported as: PRB00220234

Issue: Error when opening old object versions via Version History in 12.1.x AWI
    Reported as: PRB00218930

Issue: Agent 12.1.1 fails to do JOBF with 10.x agents, protocol error
    Reported as: INC00221321
    Irony: huge
    State: fixed with 12.1.1+hf2 agent

Issue: ucybdbun fails because it didn't get adjusted to a new method of how deletion of folders is handled internally
    Reported as:
    INC00220161
    State: fixed with Utilities V12.1.1+hf2

Additonally, we reported a few documentation bugs, and issues with German translations, which I will not replicate here (state: all in progress, no ETA).

The following have been deemed "not a bug" / works as designed, while I still disagree. It may be worth to know about these:

"Open Monitor" opens various things, not just monitors. Among them is the function formerly known as "show generated job", which can not be found by that name anymore and is sorely missed under that name by a bunch of our users and myself.

Tooltips in some dialogs (where you really need them if your job names are protuding past the dialog as to be undistinguishable) behave really unintuitively. They work, but are so unintuitive that their behaviour even fooled Automic themselves temporarily, I am convinced.

Hth,

• 4.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 15, 2018 11:17 AM
    OMG! 
    I do feel blessed that we don't have as many issues as you! but maybe will will find others.

One valuable lessons learnt for me here...

Although ideally I would like to have the latest version of the Engine at all times, it looks like you are much better off waiting until all the Hot Fixes have been applied to that version before upgrading.
    The benefit you get from the extra functionality is outweighed by the bugs that get introduced.

• 5.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 15, 2018 12:04 PM
    John O'Mullane said:
    Although ideally I would like to have the latest version of the Engine at all times, it looks like you are much better off waiting until all the Hot Fixes have been applied to that version before upgrading.
    The benefit you get from the extra functionality is outweighed by the bugs that get introduced.
    lol yeah, that was exactly our thinking in skipping 12.0 but alas ... :D

• 6.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 16, 2018 05:43 AM
    This isn't necessarily a bug with Version 12.1.1 HF 1 ....

I have an Administrator Usergroups we use for Release Management, which has Read/Write/Execute/ to all objects.
    The users on this usergroup reported after upgrade that they suddenly are getting "Access Denied" to all objects.

I checked the Usergroup and it looked fine. This was happening on both the AWI and Java UI.

I edited the usergroup, removed all access, saved. edited again and granted all access.
    This fixed the issue.

Looks like the usergroup somehow got corrupted during upgrade.

This is not the case for all usergroups, just one so far!

• 7.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 26, 2018 11:06 AM
    PRB00221687: Users appear multiple times in the "users" tab.
    (if you never heard of this one - well, I told you there's more I didn't even list here ... :D )

I just figured out it is simply the number of sessions. If a user has, say, four sessions, his account is listed four times with identical stats in the "users" screen. Note that's NOT the connection screen, it's also duplicated (triplicated etc.) in the "users" screen where it's supposed to list accounts, not sessions).

And the GET_FILESYSTEM one has an update and I found the reason and a workarround: Let it loose on a small token directory with only boring, 8+3 letter filenames in it.

Anyone up for a kickstarter to fund a QA department for Automic? Maybe if we raised some Bitcoin?

• 8.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Mar 28, 2018 09:46 AM
    @Carsten Schmitz, WE (the customers) are the QA...haven't you figured that out yet?

• 9.  Automation Engine V 12.1.1 HF 1 - Bugs

Posted Apr 12, 2018 06:40 AM
    I have found another Bug in AWI Version "Automic Web Interface 12.1.1.GA02":
    Promptset doesn't show up for Task in Workflow with an alias name in the workflow. Instead, you find a NullPointerException in the Tomcat-Logs and the task just waits with "waiting for user input".
    Workaround: deleting the alias name of the task in the workflow.
    Incident-Number: INC00221485, a Problem will be created by the support.