Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Archive files

Posted Mar 15, 2018 09:29 AM
    Question taken from a recent support request :

Is it safe to remove the output files written by DB Archive utility ?
    Does the Automation Engine database need them  ?

Answer:

These files are not necessary for the database to operate. They are merely a backup copy of statistical entries and reports of previous object executions, which you can view with the Archive Browser.

Depending on your business needs (if for instance your business requirement is to keep a backup copy of activities for the last year), you can simply move them to a different location if you want to keep them. Otherwise they can be removed safely.
    Hide Section - System Information

• 2.  Archive files

Posted Mar 15, 2018 02:58 PM
    We clean up our older archive folders.  But when you run a REORG (UCYBDBun - BREORG) it echos a report of all of your archive folders since the beginning of time.  This report is growing and growing and I wanted to trim it.  I discovered this list is stored in variable UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD in client 0000, but when I try to clean up the contents of this variable, it breaks the next execution of the maintenance routines.  (Its been a long time since I tested this, so I don't remember where the breakdown occurs.)

Is there any way to clear out older archive folder names from this variable without breaking things?

• 3.  Archive files

Posted Mar 15, 2018 03:13 PM
    Would this info out of docu be helpful:
    The utility will only maintain this variable if value "0" has been specified in theINI-file parameter suppress_output=.

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/WEBHELP/English/AWA/11.2/AE/11.2/All%20Guides/help.htm#ucachn.htm?Highlight=UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD

cheers, Wolfgang

• 4.  Archive files

Posted Mar 15, 2018 03:59 PM
    Yup.  Thanks.

• 5.  Archive files

Posted Mar 15, 2018 04:06 PM
    You ' re welcome :-)

• 6.  Archive files

Posted Mar 20, 2018 04:27 AM

Hi all,

I think, in addition its worth to mention here that theDB Archive is optional. That means in case you have no business needs to even create those DB Archive output you can just skip it!

This brings two benefits:

• Speed up the reorganization run
    • No cleanup of old DB Archive output

How to do so?

• Just skip, remove or deactivate the DB Archive task in your reorganization Workflow.
    • Make sure that the parameter no_archive_check=1 is set in both, the DB Reorg and DB Unlaod INI file

KR, Josef