Rally Software

• 1.  Is there a way to lock a User Story so people can’t edit the US, but could still make a copy of it?

Posted Apr 16, 2018 12:44 PM

My team has created User Story template we want people to follow when creating new user stories. Is there a way to LOCK this user story but still allow them to copy it?

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to lock a User Story so people can’t edit the US, but could still make a copy of it?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 03:06 PM

Hi Sasha.

When creating a template you can choose both how to scope it and also if it be used as default. You can scope it to workspaces or projects. That will allow workspace admins or project admins respectively to be able to delete it later on.

However, users within these projects (Editors or Viewers) will be able to apply that template , but not to delete it.

My take on what you're asking is how can you ensure that a template is 'uneditable' and available for your users for use. If that is what you meant by 'LOCK' then it should be achieved if you scope your template at the proper level you'd need to allow for administration. For all other users it should be 'fixed' and so for any purpose it's 'locked'.

Please let us know if that answered your question and helped you resolve.

You can learn more on template scoping at:

Work Item Templates | CA Agile Central Help 

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to lock a User Story so people can’t edit the US, but could still make a copy of it?

Posted May 16, 2018 05:07 PM

I do not see the "template" button... any ideas?

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to lock a User Story so people can’t edit the US, but could still make a copy of it?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 03:10 PM

Hi Sasha,  unfortunately there is no way to lock a user story like that.  Have you thought of using Work Item Templates?  It's available in QDP and will enter your default template into new user stories when created.

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to lock a User Story so people can’t edit the US, but could still make a copy of it?

Posted Apr 18, 2018 09:05 AM

Thank you!

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to lock a User Story so people can’t edit the US, but could still make a copy of it?

Posted May 16, 2018 05:05 PM

Hello- I am having trouble finding the "template" button under the QDP view.  Any idea on how to view it?

Thanks,