Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Want to Change the task finish date

Deactivated User

Deactivated UserApr 17, 2018 07:27 AM

• 1.  Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 17, 2018 06:53 AM

Hi Team,

Am unable to change the Task finish date as well ETC is not editable.

that task is not yet assigned resources. Please advise on this.

• 2.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 17, 2018 07:27 AM

Did you search this community for Task Finish Date

• 3.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 17, 2018 07:37 AM

Yes but that one is not useful. Do you have any idea on this.

I want to change the task finish date , but its not editable, moreover I checked that task yet the resources is not assigned. and  keytask, milestone and Open for Timeentry is unchecked.

Kindly advise on this.What actions will need to take if task finish date is editable.

• 4.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 17, 2018 07:51 AM

Are there any tasks indented as children, under this task?  If yes, this would make your task a summary task and the start/finish dates become uneditable as they are now dependent on the earliest start and latest finish of the child tasks.

Dale

• 5.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 17, 2018 07:56 AM

As I mentioned that task is not having Child as well Parent . Its Independent task.

• 6.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 10:07 AM

You can change the start date but not the finish date?

Would it be locked by a process? 

• 7.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 17, 2018 01:20 PM

Couldis  you please provide a screenshot.

The ETC of a task is normally not editable as the value comes from the resource assignment ETC's

• 8.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 01:37 AM

Did you check on the following;

- Task level constraint (must finish on)

- % Completion of the task being 100%

- Whether the task has any downstream dependencies on tasks that are themselves constrained.

And to Urmas' point on ETC is correct - you need to modify the work done on the task and therefore the task resource assignment.

• 9.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:00 AM

Hi Yardin,

Yet the Resources are not assigned in that task. Open for Time entry also Unchecked. In the Assignments section message is like "There are currently no resources assigned to this task".

I checked in Team tab yet the resources are not assigned.

My query is if the resources are not assigned but PM created the task in that case whether we can't  to edit the task finish date?

Kindly advise on this..

• 10.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:10 AM

Hi,

It should be a summary task. Can you open the task structure in gantt and see if there are any child task. Also please check the dependency on this task by going into the task properties tab. 

Thanks,

Jerin

• 11.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:15 AM

Just Chris (my first name) will do.

If there are no resources assigned to the task, then the ETC is technically 0. The 'Team' views are irrelevant to this issue (that is project resource allocations - not task resource assignments... two different things). Open for time entry against the Task does not come into this.

There is one other thing you might want to check:

- Does the PM have the rights to edit the tasks on the schedule? 

I think for the community to help you it would be useful for you to gather a few screenshots of the task pages for us to see. Namely:

1. The PPM Gantt view so that we can see where the task fits in the WBS.

2. The Properties => Main => General sub-page for the Task in question

3. The Properties => Main => Constraints sub-page for the Task in question

4. The Properties => Dependencies sub-page for the Task in question (if you don't see this sub-page in the classic view of task properties, then this is the tell-tale sign that the task is a summary task at whatever level in the WBS).

• 12.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:25 AM

Hi Chris, Refer the below screen shot.

• 13.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:28 AM

That is a summary task - which means that it can't have it's finish date changed.

• 14.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:35 AM

Hi Chris,

We  want to change the Project Finish Date. Kindly advise what we would need to advise the PM regarding this.

My query :

Can we infirm to PM will delete the task because this is a summary task  or Support team will do it in Backend to update the Finish date?

Below task “Purchasing Legacy Interface Remediation Client OPEX”  Finish date is appearing as 3/28/19.

Hence the below project 010589 project finish date is appearing as 3/28/19.

• 15.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 03:50 AM

Isn't it a 'Sub-Project'?  The task circled has the 'sub-project' icon at the end of the task name.  If this is the case, then the end date is coming from the sub-project, and needs to be updated on the sub-project.

• 16.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:45 AM

The project finish date will be informed by either of the following:

- The latest finish of any task in the schedule

- The latest detail of the resource allocations in the 'Team' plan

The summary task isn't the issue - (and don't delete it by the support team in the back-end) but it will be one (or several) tasks further down in the schedule that will have a finish date of 3/28/19. Either bring those tasks back or delete them.

Remember the PM owns the schedule - so support them in telling them what they need to do.

• 17.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:50 AM

Hi Chris,

Can you advise the below Either bring those tasks back or delete them.

• 18.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:52 AM

Change the dates of those tasks or delete the tasks

• 19.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 03:26 AM

Thanks Chris for your Reply...how did we define summary task .

• 20.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 03:31 AM

You are getting the information you need in pieces. My recommendation is that you look at docops.ca.com and in particular these two links:

Create Projects, Teams, and Tasks - CA PPM SaaS - 15.4 - CA Technologies Documentation  

Project Schedules in the Gantt View - CA PPM SaaS - 15.4 - CA Technologies Documentation  

Even if you are on 15.x or late versions of 14.x the information is the same in this documentation for what you need.

• 21.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 04:52 AM

Please note that - as stated by Roland in a previous reply - the icon to the right of the circled task identifies that this is a subproject. The data for this entry is therefore read-only in the Gantt window that you are currently in.

To make updates, you have to click the Purchasing Legacy Interface Remediation Client OPEX link, and the project will open into its own Gantt window.

If you have the required rights, you can then edit the details.

• 22.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 05:10 AM

Please refer the screenshot. As per your comments I clicked that Purchasing Legacy Interface Remediation Client OPEX link and the project opened its Gantt window, but I don't have the rights eventhough I check with PM of the project PM also don't have to edit it.

• 23.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2018 06:12 PM

Can you try going to Home -> Projects, and opening the properties to the 'Purchasing Legacy Interface Remediation Client OPEX' project? Once here, you can edit the Project Finish date to the later date that you are expecting. 

This will then update the Proxy task on the master project from your first screenshot. 

• 24.  Re: Want to Change the task finish date

Posted Apr 18, 2018 11:59 PM

Given that your last screen shot also shows the 'Add Task Icon' is greyed out which implies:

• You don't have write access to the Project
    • The Project is currently locked

I would guess it is locked, given your comment that the PM also can't edit it.

But, personally, I would be reviewing what you are doing.  All the shown tasks in the sub-project are marked as '% Complete" = 100% (ie they are complete) but you want to update their Finish Date.  Shouldn't you be creating additional Tasks to determine the remaining work required?  Rather than randomly updating existing sub-project task data so that the Master Project's summary line is 'correct'.  This is slightly off topic, but just an observation to your actions to attempt to update the Master Project's Gantt.