Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

How do we validate Schedules/Workflows/job prior to execution?

• 1.  How do we validate Schedules/Workflows/job prior to execution?

Posted Apr 19, 2018 12:22 PM

Hi, We are on AWA v12.1.x.  We are preparing to load many Workflows consisting of 1000's of jobs.  What is the appropriate resource to be able to generate output that can be used to validate the schedule, times and dependencies of jobs/Workflows prior to execution?

We tried using an "Auto-Forecast" but the job details inside of WFs are not included.  The Manual Forecast has the same issue plus the start/end times are not accurate.

Maybe I'm not using the tool incorrectly but so far, support has not been able to help us resolve the issue.

Thank you

• 2.  Re: How do we validate Schedules/Workflows/job prior to execution?

Posted Apr 19, 2018 03:00 PM

Hey Russell,

I've had back luck finding a way to do this as well so im very interested if you get a reliable forecast to work.

However, what I do for large workflows like this is to set a break-point on the start task and execute the workflow. If it is missing any calendar conditions, if any jobs do not exist in the environment, if the notifications don't exits, if queue doesn't exist, etc it will get a FAULT_OTHER and explain the reason. Maybe if all the jobs do not have generate at runtime it will complain about script variables as well but I have not tested this piece. I'd dummy up a few workflows and see what this method can reliably catch on activation if you decide to try it.

This is especially helpful when you are promoting workflows that already have some child jobs, queues, calendars etc that already exist in the target client/system.

But again, ive had no luck with the built in tools and this is kind of the best we've found. This method does not do anything for predicting time, but it should keep the workflow from bombing on its initial run if youre worried about that.

Regards,

Michael