Rally Software

• 1.  Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 08:47 AM

I am using Rally Web API to pull the data using c#, I want to pull all the features under a workspace. I am trying to pull using below code, but it is taking too much of time to pull the data.

Request storyRequest = new Request("PortfolioItem/" + portfolioitem);

storyRequest.Workspace = https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/workspace/12345678;

Query dynQuery = new Query();

storyRequest.Fetch = new List<string>()

{

"ObjectID",

"FormattedID",

"Name",

"Project",

"c_PPMOpticsIDPRJxxxxxx",

"PreliminaryEstimate",

"RefinedEstimate",

"LeafStoryCount",

"LeafStoryPlanEstimateTotal",

"PercentDoneByStoryPlanEstimate",

"PlannedEndDate",

"PlannedStartDate",

"Release",

"ScheduleState",

"Children",

"State",

"Owner",

"Parent"

};

queryStoryResults = restApi.Query(storyRequest);

Do we have alternative option to pull large amount of data in simple and fastest way?

• 2.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 09:03 AM

morky01, Do you have any suggestions?

• 3.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:27 AM

SanjayCh, as long as you're using the most recent version of the .NET toolkit (3.3.1) you should be able to set your page size to as much as 2000, rather than the default of 200.  Depending on your network conditions and the query you are performing you should be able to find a good balance between many, smaller requests and fewer, larger requests.  In our testing we often found 1000 to be a good balance.

Also, are you using the Limit parameter?  The toolkit will automatically page through the results until it reaches your specified maximum number of results.

• 4.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:36 AM

morky01, It's not about paging or showing all the results on screen. we have to mange that result with other results within the code and display on the screen. So, we need all the results within in minimal time frame. Is there any alternative code to get that result more faster ?

• 5.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:37 AM

What sort of response times are you seeing?  A basic query like the above should easily be satisfied in less than 500ms...

• 6.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:39 AM

morky01 "A basic query like the above should easily be satisfied in less than 500ms"-  Yes, Exactly...

• 7.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:41 AM

In other words, we need such big response results in quick time.

• 8.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:45 AM

Hmm.  Well, I don't think there are any further optimizations you can make to your code.  The total time to get all the features will depend on how many you have.  If you think you are experiencing performance issues I'd suggest opening a support case- maybe we can investigate further at that point.

• 9.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 10:58 AM

okay. I don't have access to raise such cases, can you please add a case on behalf of me. it is very important to me to get a solution for this issue.

• 10.  Re: Fastest way to pull all the features under workspace using API?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 12:54 PM

Hi Sanjay,

I opened a support case for you. I'm going to email you shortly and will want to discuss it with you. Let's continue on the support case. I'll mark this community post answered, despite that I realize it may not be fully answered yet , and let's continue there.

Thanks,

Sagi