DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Yu Ishitani

Yu IshitaniMay 09, 2018 11:13 PM

Issac08

Issac08May 09, 2018 11:18 PM

• 1.  How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 12:28 PM

So I wanted to know is there a way to pull additional robot info such as OS_Type, OS Name, OS Version, etc basically the same info that we can get from when viewing the group members in the USM into another portlet to create a report.

I need to create a list view or a similar report that has all this information along with several QoS metrics (CPU,Disk,Mem,Nic Traffic, etc..)

We want the OS Type, OS_Name in our List View. Anyone know how or if a list can show this data? It only seems to look at QoS data but this OS data is stored in the CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM table in OS_NAME column.

So when looking at a group in USM we can see many fields:

What other methods can I use to get this info into a QoS related report? I don't think the list designer can grab this info as from what I can see.

• 2.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 12:37 PM

Hello,

You are right, list designer won't work for you.

The only way to get that data is to use UR or cabi and create a Jaspersoft report.

You should be able to generate something similar to a list view if you are familiar with the UIM database and Jaspersoft.

cheers

• 3.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 12:52 PM

Hi Rowan,

Thanks but can you give an example of how were to use CABI to pull this? Every response from CA with regards to a reports question is just "use CABI." Well an example would be very helpful here. We need more than just the "use cabi or jasper soft" responses these days.

• 4.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 12:57 PM

Hi Daniel, LOL, of course CA Services can help you with this one…. But then you knew I would say that

I will knock up a query to try to help a bit further…. Will that get you started ?

• 5.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 01:12 PM

Its a start...  Yes that would at least show us where to begin. I can already write a query in SQL to pull the machine name and OS_Name, type, etc.. How and where then in CABI do you run that query and take that data and throw it into your table/report ?

Really this should be a standard report. Its really just an inventory report with say a few more QoS metrics like CPU, Memory Nic Traffic joined with just machine name and the OS type of that box. 

A simple example of how to do this will go a long way with your customers.. 

• 6.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 02:24 PM

I thought I was the only one who was frustrated by the "just use CABI" response to every reporting question that's asked!!  I understand that moving to Jaspersoft for all the products is a good step toward centralizing the reporting capabilities and blah blah blah.  However, the learning curve on CABI can be quite steep and we don't all have time to learn the details of yet another reporting platform.  

Examples of these "simple" solutions would be much better.  The Services answer is really not cool since we all pay for support.  Plus, many of us customers are still going through migration pains - which are the results of CA product decision making - of moving from the "old" products to the awesomely fantastic new stuff that CA is putting out.  So, now we all have to learn the new products AND the new reporting (or lack thereof) platform - which really means becoming report developers - just so we can use all our spare time to recreate the bodies of work we already had before.  

Please, CA, kindly refrain from sending us the "you can do it in CABI" responses!  If you can do it in CABI, then by all means, YOU do it in CABI!  THEN perhaps you can export your working report files and share them with the community so we can all benefit.  THAT was ALSO one of the benefits CA touted for going to Jaspersoft.  

Sorry for the rant... I'm feeling your pain...  I knew I wasn't the only one!!!!  

• 7.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 25, 2018 10:43 AM

^+1 to Chris. Yes feel the same way. 

• 8.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 12:54 PM

Ok guys, I get the message.

How about something along these lines….

This is a CABI report which is packaged in a dashboard.

I can send it to you in an archive package, if you like.

Can also probably add in cpu and memory from the last hour, if you have run the QOS_VIEWS script on your database?

I've created this using Jaspersoft studio, which I can explain how to setup, if you haven't already.

Let me know what you think.

And how you want to be helped.

cheers

• 9.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 27, 2018 03:22 AM

These are the basic reports which need for Infrastructure . Why the tool is designed for lack of default reporting . If CABI is the single point of solution means whether CA has tech videos to frame or build the reporting from scratch?

• 10.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:50 AM

All this information is available in USM and this is the recommended portlet to get this detail, and it is usual for customer to only require this adhoc and for individual devices

List views is for displaying QOS metrics which is dynamic numeric data so you cannot mix them.

For those that do have this requirement, CABI will step in and supply, but a small amount of knowledge is needed to create these reports.

I will endeavour to produce a quick user guide for this sort of thing.

• 11.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 27, 2018 05:18 AM

Thanks Rowan

• 12.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 30, 2018 10:18 AM

Hi Rowan,

This is a start and this looks like a simple SQL query polling the CM_Computer_System table. If you create a guide on how to then combine this info along with other QoS metrics that's all I would need to take it from there and explore my other options.

Do I have to use Jasper Stuido or can this be done just using the CABI Web Interface? 

• 13.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted Apr 30, 2018 12:34 PM

I think the short answer is that we are all going to have to learn how to use Jasper Studio to create the reports we need.  This is the only way to recreate some of the reports we had before.  What we are really talking about is moving forward with all the new tools to create the work flows for our users to navigate the various data.  At some point, we are all going to have to suck it up and learn the Jasper Studio report developer tools.  I think once more of us can carve out the time to do that we will get to a point where we won't need Support to help us so much.  Tibco's website has some rudimentary Jasper Studio training available, but it would be nice to have some videos showing this actually being used inside the CA products.  A few more working examples like the one Rowan is putting together would be extremely helpful to bridge the gap.

Thanks for doing that Rowan...  looking forward to seeing it!  

• 14.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2018 08:39 AM
      |   view attached

OK, here is the first draft of a CABI Getting Started guide, as promised.

Takes you through installing the Studio product, licensing, data adapters and creating your first report to be displayed in UMP.

Please have a try and let me know how you get on, i will expect some feedback !

Hope it helps ease the complications of CABI reports.

cheers

• 15.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2018 11:13 PM

great effort ! rowan

• 16.  Re: How can I pull OS Type into a report?

Posted May 09, 2018 11:18 PM

Good One Rowan !!Appreciated