Knowledge report card reports wrong value in counter for 'Accepted by Solution'.
Took an example of one ID, in GUI solution accepted is 4 and when I click on top of 4, it displays corresponding page and it displays count as 1.
When I check in the KD table, shows sd accepted hits 4. In the kdlinks table, it is showing only 1 incident number. The reason is 3 of the tickets are archived. Issue is reproducible out of the box. I think both kd and kdlinks are not in sync via code. However, we found that archive is not only the reason. There is one document where Accepted by Solution count is 16 and corresponding list shows as 23 tickets. PFA screenshort.
Please let me know if this is a bug or is there any explanation why the count is mismatch.