Gen EDGE

• 1.  Using Oracle 11g Express Edition

Posted Apr 24, 2018 04:53 PM

Hello There !

My last try...

I am running Oracle 11g XE under Windows 10 and GEN 8.6 Free Version and I can't install any oracle client for some reason... because of that I am not able to precomp my code, considering it has SQL code inside. When I remove any SQL reference the code is generated ok.

My database was created just fine and the connection with the Oracle is running ok.. the only problem (only ?!?) is that I can`t generate my code with any SQL !!!

Any clue ? Help !!

• 2.  Re: Using Oracle 11g Express Edition

Posted Apr 25, 2018 08:44 AM

Hi Marco

Try the Instant Client available at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html.  If you search for proc on that page you will find links to Pro*C.  The CA Gen requirement is for the Oracle client not the Oracle server so you should be able to use the 12c Instant Client and any Oracle server database to which it can connect.

If the point of your work is to merely learn about CA Gen and not Oracle I recommend you try using Microsoft SQL Server Express 2016 instead of Oracle.

• 3.  Re: Using Oracle 11g Express Edition
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 06:30 PM

Hi Marco,

Hopefully you can get the Oracle 12c 32-bit Instant Client installed after what Geoff suggested. It should be compatible with an Oracle 11g server and using the 12c client means you won't have to rebuild the Gen 8.6 runtimes (mkdbs.bat) which default to Oracle 12c compatibility.

Another alternative is to use the ODBC Technical Design i.e. generate the application for DBMS(TD)=ODBC instead of Oracle, and then you won't need the Oracle precompiler.

However if you are building a Gen GUI application (32-bit only) you will still need the 32-bit Oracle ODBC driver to create the 32-bit Data Source Name (DSN) needed by the application to connect to the Oracle DB. That driver also comes with the 32-bit Oracle Instant Client, but there is also a 32-bit Oracle ODBC driver that Microsoft supply that may work. Start the 32-bit ODBC Administrator tool c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and check the Drivers tab for "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle"

Database Support - CA Gen - 8.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards,

Lynn

• 4.  Re: Using Oracle 11g Express Edition

Posted Apr 26, 2018 10:30 AM

Thanks Lynn and Geoff for your time and patient !!

After all blood, sweat, tears and researchs, where I found that my Windows Home Edition can be the problem... I did decide, following Lynn suggestion (THANKS FOR THAT Lynn), to use ODBC connection and what a surprise.... I worked !!!! I have created database and code with success.

But nothing is good enough... now everytime I click an option on my menu that contains SQL it open a dialog box to choose the data source of my ODBC connection... 

Is there a way to avoid it ? Any file that I can configure with a default information to not open any connection dialog box ?

Thanks again for your time !!

Best Regards,

Marco Bomfim

• 5.  Re: Using Oracle 11g Express Edition

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 10:43 AM

Marco,

The information I posted in your thread, Accessing Oracle Database , is still the answer.

Take a look at the following Knowledge Article link.  CA Gen ODBC Connectivity - CA Knowledge   Step 4 will have the information you need.

The example in Step 4 is specific to ODBC.

Cheers,

Andy

• 6.  Re: Using Oracle 11g Express Edition

Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:01 AM

Hello Andy !!

Off course !! Sorry to make same question :/ 

By the way, there is an error on that guide about the name of the file... there is a misspeling on the 3rd paragraph of step 4, as below...

"You can be prompted to select the DSN each time you run your application or you can modify the IEFGDIC.INI file. Modifying the IEFGDIC.INI file allows you to bypass being prompted for DSN.  The default location for the IEFGDIC.INI file is the C:\Users\<YourID>\AppData\Local\CA\Gen 8.5\cfg\client directory.

-Below is an example where there is just one database entry.

Your IEFDGIC.INI may have multiple entries that already exist.  If so, increase the DatabaseCount and then add a section at the bottom with name of the fields to the next number in sequence.  For example, change DatabaseCount=2 and add a section with Database2, Trancode2, LoadModule2, Server2, SQLid2 and SQLPassword2."

Thanks again !!

Cheers,

Marco Bomfim

• 7.  Re: Using Oracle 11g Express Edition

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 03:12 PM

Marco,

Thanks for the information on the misspelling.  I have fixed the article and re-published it.

Cheers,

Andy