Expand all | Collapse all

Schedule v/s Period

shani kushwaha

shani kushwahaApr 25, 2018 09:14 AM

FrankMuffke

FrankMuffkeApr 25, 2018 09:19 AM

• 1.  Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 24, 2018 05:20 PM

I have to run a workflow every 2 hrs starting from 6 AM till 11 PM on Sun to Saturday till "no End Date"

Should I assign a PERIOD object to it or should I schedule it to run on different times.

Please help.

TIA 

Shani

• 2.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 24, 2018 08:18 PM

I always schedule these to run at different times.    For instance if I have an hourly process I'll create 24 tasks in the schedule.  It is then very easy to add exceptions (e.g. don't run at 12noon on Wednesdays) and it shows up in the forecast reports as desired.

I can't speak to PERIODS because I don't use them.

Pete

• 3.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 09:14 AM

Thanks Pete

• 4.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 02:33 AM

Hi

I usually use JSCH objects as well.

For testing purposes I used Period objects - sometimes for short-time recurrences (a couple of days) I use them too but for long running or neverending tasks I use JSC.

cheers, Wolfgang

• 5.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 09:16 AM

Thanks Wolfgang

I am following below approach now.

however periods did look good and worked well but I agree to Pete's and your points that it will be more feasible to use Schedule (JSCH) for these tasks.

Thanks you 

• 6.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 09:19 AM

You 're welcome :-)

• 7.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 09:47 AM

Hi Shani, you can also use a time event to activate this every 2 hours. I'm not sure if you're wanting this to run 6a - 11p every day or every 2 hours from 6a Sunday to 11pm Saturday, meaning no runs from 11p Saturday to 6a Sunday. 

If you're wanting it to run every day from 6a to 11p, schedule your event to activate at 6a and then in the event, set it to quit at 11p with a "check" time of 2 hrs. 

If you're wanting it to run from 6a Sunday to 11p Saturday, schedule the event to activate at 6a on Sundays only, and then tell the event to quit +6 at 23:00. 

Either way this will allow you to only have 1 entry in the schedule. Plus, with this method, if you need to stop it from running, you don't have to shut down a schedule or try to inactivate a bunch of entries in the schedule. You just stop the 1 event. 

Hopefully that helps!

Jim

• 8.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 10:08 AM

Thanks JIm,

I have never set up a Time Event but this is what i am doing,please let me know if it will work.

TIA

Shani

• 9.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 10:22 AM

You're pretty close! I would remove the time and date condition. On the left, go to General -> Runtime and check the "Monitor MRT" box. When that drops down, set it to be like I have it below. 

This will then quit the event at 11:pm 6 days after you've started it. 

• 10.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:08 AM

but how would it start every Sunday on 6:45 AM.
    I mean where would i mention the start time in this.

• 11.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:12 AM

oh, So I will put this event in the schedule.

got it.

correct me if I am wrong.

• 12.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:20 AM

this is what I have done.
    please check if this will work.

• 13.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:25 AM

Actually your event in the schedule only needs a calendar of Sunday since you only want the event to start on Sunday. Other than that, I think you're good to go! 

• 14.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:25 AM

Careful with time events in schedules so they don't step on each other each day. In my environment we run everything in a schedule and all events have this on the Runtime tab:

That way a new instance gets generated every day

• 15.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:35 AM

I've worked places that do it both ways. Some do as Micheal suggested and stop events every day and start them again that way everything in their activities has the same date. It's not necessary for what you're trying to do but if that's something you want to see in your activities, then you would have to calculate the runs and coordinate the stopping of one event and the start of another to make sure you don't start the next run before/after the 2 hr time frame. You'll also have multiple entries in your schedule for this event. One for M-Sa and one for Sun since M-SA you'd want to start the event at ~midnight/1a and then Sunday would start at 6a. 

It would be cleaner to have the event in the schedule once with a calendar of Sunday and a start time of 6a and then have your event quit +6 at 11:00pm, like you have it setup already. 

• 16.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 11:42 AM

Cool.

I will test it this way first and check how it runs.

Thanks for all the help everyone

• 17.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 12:11 PM

I'm curious about something since I've never done it this way.  Will each iterative execution appear in the forecast reports?  Or will only the scheduled event object appear in the forecast reports?

Pete

• 18.  Re: Schedule v/s Period

Posted Apr 25, 2018 05:00 PM

Hello,

I prefer to use a time event to trigger tasks periodically ( i.e every 2 hr).

My favorite setup here is including the event in a schedule and do not forget to end the event using the runtime tab end task setting on object level or on properties in the schedule

regards

Thomas