Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Resources and sizes for AWA Installation

Posted Apr 27, 2018 05:36 AM

Hi, Could anyone please take my quote of requirements and then suggest us the number of resources should I arrange before the installation.

Requirements: *

No of concurrent users <30

*No of Agents >1000

*No of executions per day \<20

* Will install AWA through ONE- INSTALLER.

I will be installing this on Windows and please help me with the information like how may cores of CPU, memory, hard disk space required on the installing windows box. 

Should I go for distributed server environment or Can I install all the components on a single windows box? Suggest me the best approach.

Regards,

Srujan.

• 2.  Re: Resources and sizes for AWA Installation

Posted Apr 30, 2018 05:02 AM

You have more than 1000 agents, but less than 20 executions a day? That seems a bit off. Did you mean twenty thousand executions a day? Or 20 per agent, per day?

Either way, I can't give you much dependable sizing advise, since this heavily depends on too many factors. Generally, the more, the better, and since you will be using version 12 I assume (unfortunately you didn't mention any version information), I recommend putting AWI on a separate box, and giving that plenty of RAM.

Will install AWA through ONE- INSTALLER

I also warn against this. Im my humble, personal, indepentent and disclaimer-covered opinion, I'd still recommend doing an installation by hand for any production system. It pays to have done it, so you know how things "tick", and it might also pay to have it installed the way you want. The One Installer may have improved since I last looked at it, but from my previous experience, I still consider it useful for installing evaluations or sales demos, but would not trust it for production environments. But again, that's purely my own opinion.

Hth,

• 3.  Re: Resources and sizes for AWA Installation

Posted Apr 30, 2018 05:24 AM

Carsten_Schmitz

Hi,

We will be executing a workflow less than 10 times a day and in each execution, we will be using around 5 agents so on the whole we use approx. 50 agents per day. Please notice that the agents will be used depends on the request, hence we will not use all the installed agents.

Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Srujan.

• 4.  Re: Resources and sizes for AWA Installation

Posted Apr 30, 2018 05:28 AM

Hi,

That doesn't sound like a very busy system then ... still, the better hardware you can afford, the better, and for that reason it's tough to give a definitive statement on what's "enough". But definetly get a dedicated machine for AWI for any production system (or better yet, two with a load balancer, if you want to have a failure-tolerant UI).

Best,

Carsten

• 5.  Re: Resources and sizes for AWA Installation

Posted Apr 30, 2018 05:32 AM

Okay thanks. How can we implement load balancing for AWI?  any documentation regarding this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Srujan.

• 6.  Re: Resources and sizes for AWA Installation

Posted Apr 30, 2018 05:41 AM

The little there is in terms of official Automic documentation can all be found in the Installation Document, section "Installing the AWI", bullet point #2, entitled: "Set up the load balancer for high availability and configure proxies".

Get any load balancer, put it in front of two (or more) AWI servers, make sure it has stickiness enabled and supports websockets, and (my own tip, this is not official Automic information) avoid direct-return-type load balancers for the sake of one's own sanity. And you can only use the LB for high availability, not for performance balancing (at least not beyond the granularity of individual user sessions).

Hth,

Carsten