Clarity

• 1.  How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Posted Apr 29, 2018 04:05 PM

How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Say you have a project with hundreds of tasks and tens of them assigned to a resource.

If the resource wants to add a task (Work) to a timesheet all the task are displayed to the resource to select from.

That is also the tasks not open for time entry.

Is there a work around for this bug to display only the tasks in the 15.4 new UX that are open for time entry?

Sample project with only ten tasks. The project and and the resource are open for CA PPM time entry while none of the tasks is open for time entry.

When add Work or tasks in the new UX you'll see all the tasks. Even if the not open for time entry tasks are greyed out they appear on the list when the user scrolls for the task to add to the timesheet.

Note that the tasks are not even assigned to the resources

In the Classic UI you do not see the task at all if they are not open for time entry.

For comparison the first task is opened for time entry and assigned to the resource.

Is this bug already known Jon_Israel ?

• 2.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Posted Apr 29, 2018 07:54 PM

Hi 

Looks like this is the designed behaviour in New UX. 

Referring to the below documentation:

New User Experience: Compare with Classic CA PPM - CA PPM - 15.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

As you can see, it says " The option shows all tasks for all active investments where you are a team member. You can use compound filtering to shorten the task list. You can see and can send a notification to your project manager for work items that are not enabled for time entry. "

Hope this helps. 

Thanks

Shailey

• 3.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 30, 2018 09:48 AM

That is correct, this is currently by design. Below is the list of fields that you can filter on in the add work section listed in the documentation Shailey provided (which excludes Open for Time Entry): New User Experience: Compare with Classic CA PPM - CA PPM SaaS - 15.4 - CA Technologies Documentation

• Investment Manager
    • Investment Type
    • Task Assignment. All Tasks, Tasks assigned to me, or Tasks not assigned to me
    • Work (Investment) Name or ID
    • Task Name
    • Phase Name
    • Task Start Date
    • Task Finish Date

• 4.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?
    Best Answer

Posted May 01, 2018 04:46 PM

Thank you for your responses. I do see the filters which are also in my screenshots.

I conclude the answer to be: You do not.

As before being as designed does not necessarily mean as desired.

I understand the changes in the new UI to be addressing the 10 % or less cases where the use has problems getting desired tasks and not getting the undesired tasks on the timesheet with the current algorithm in the classic UI. The situation has existed as long as the  there have been timesheets.

Just wondering how this including tasks not open for timeentry in the list for selection was judged in

Customer Validation Program
    Customer Advisory Board
    Product Design & User Experience (UX) Modeling Participation

I am also curious to see the design requirement for that.

• 5.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Posted May 01, 2018 05:34 PM

Can see scenario where one may still want to run a 'fast' plan with only booking to 'effort' task, and hide all other tasks from users - if one is transitioning from simple project management to complex, but not yet ready to take on complexity of managing assignments. 

On other side, if 'project management savvy' user is working on Task X and needs to book to it, but can't find it because time entry is still off, this can be frustrating to user.

I don't know if this will be an issue for us or not, but it will be a change.  Change is hard, right?  I would prefer some options here, as I expect to see more of the 'fast' plan type scenarios, still, where hiding the closed to time entry tasks will be preferred.

Worst thing though is that as stuff is moved to New UX, we are not being told what is being left behind.  In order to find out, we must experiment, open cases, read issues raised by others....  This very inefficient.

• 6.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Posted May 03, 2018 04:23 PM

Apologies in advance, but a bit of a rant: 

Some things are good, but... 

I  must agree with this..  poor design.  though the new UX sometimes appears snazzy, I am seeing more and more gaps, unfortunately. This is one of the first things our customers noticed. When your organization has tons of tasks , you don't want them all to show. At least, honestly, the option to filter out (defaulting to open) should have been put in here. Two things the design team seems to keep missing

(1) Use cases based on EXISTING customers. We are the ones that are paying the annual fees . Everything designed for new users who don't know any better

(2) Missing obvious "win wins" in screens. I am not referring to the fact this is coded in phases. I am referring to what was put in , there are so many misses, and CA is not articulating a roadmap for these misses. We sadly hear " working as designed"..  With all do respect, there are many design misses -- which in the Dev world is a design defect and should be treated as such, not an enhancement. 

Get with your existing users who are trying desperately to get users to adopt this, but can't because of these design misses, and be open to these being misses and have plans to correct them accordingly.   I bet they are not even that big?  Yes, I am part of the CA idea process, but that will take FOREVER to get in, and again, these should not be treated as enhancements. If I code something and my customers say "umm you missed this".. do you think I could get away with saying it functioning as designed?   

Timesheets are the easiest thing in the system, but if you change the surface, CA should have honestly considered the full picture.  Our users do NOT want all those tasks in their view.. grey or not. (and ALL statuses by default??)  . that is just too much. Some users are on 15 -20 projects and easily 20+ tasks per project. who wants all of that in their view??  Or wait, let us configure it    even at least set the default filters!!   (I know, the # 1 request)... 

Our users already freaked out over the other things such as seeing the pop out to see the details, etc.. but those you can adapt too. Missing functionality it a bit harder.  Always remember Change management in these designs

Please, please, consider this going forward. I like the new UX, but these gaps are growing and becoming roadblocks to adoption.  (EX: off topic, click a task marks it complete? Big miss.. that should been off to the right as its own button.  People click instinctively on a record and workflows for completed tasks are common   ) Remember, some of us have been on the application since the beginning, so change management IS important when you have ~~ 8000 users and some companies have way more

• 7.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Posted May 03, 2018 05:13 PM

Yes it is curious to see that the use cases of the modern UI and the classic UI are different.

Good to have all those filters, but I would have not been that much work to add the

Open for time entry as well. The new UI is also promoted to be easier and more intuitive.

Where I come from we do have still project project managers and they are in talking terms with their teams. So normally it go so that the team member picks a task from the task board and works on that and it comes as a surprise that the task i not open for timeentry and the team member cannot enter time on it.

If the team member sees a task on the task board he or she should understand that there really is such a task and if it is not displayed in the list of work to be added it is a bit of overkill to have it greyed out as a hint to contact the project manager to open it for timeentry.

On the other hand if the project manager is in talking terms with the team members he or she guides them on the tasks to be worked on and consequently as part of his or her job sees that they are also open for time entry in due time.

• 8.  Re: How to hide tasks not open for time entry in the New UX?

Posted Jun 04, 2018 12:58 PM

Apparently the design was set right in 15.4.1.

See

General Availability Announcement for CA PPM 15.4.1 Service Pack