CA Service Management

• 1.  clarification on pdm_server_control -v (version control command)

Posted Apr 30, 2018 02:39 AM

Hello Team

While publishing tables n columns in sdm 17.1 Advance Availability. i have some confusion with pdm_server_control -v command, This command turn off the version control.

i studied the following document . what i understand is pdm_server_control -v command need to run if we have saved and published schema in wsp in bg server and then need to run pdm_publish command by making failover . and if during that time if Standby server sdm service already off during publishing schema in wsp....we need to first run this command on standby server and then trun on the service of sb server. then make it to bg server and run pdm_publish command on original bg server ...this is all wt i under for this command.

So anybody who has done this practically in AA and confirm me about this command.. when to run this. and on which server it should be run specifically ...or should it be run on all server i.e bg, sb and app... 

Many thanks

Jon_Israel Alex_Perretti gbruneau Raghu.Rudraraju 

How to Modify Schema Using Web Screen Painter - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 2.  Re: clarification on pdm_server_control -v (version control command)
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 30, 2018 02:31 PM

Hi La-Qa,

Here are the steps I follow.

1. Make changes via WSP, Save, and then Publish

2. Set standby server to background (pdm_server_control -b)

3. Turn off version control on original background server (pdm_server_control -v)

4. Run pdm_publish on original background server (pdm_publish)

5. Start services on original background server

6. Set original background server back to the background server (pdm_server_control -b)

7. Start services on original standby server

8. Recycle app servers

I've also shared a PowerShell script that takes care of steps 1-7.  I too have blown away data in custom tables by not following steps 2-5 correctly.  The script ensures that the steps are followed correctly every time.

Scripted pdm_publish for AA environment 

• 3.  Re: clarification on pdm_server_control -v (version control command)

Posted Apr 30, 2018 02:46 PM

Many Thanks Grant...

• 4.  Re: clarification on pdm_server_control -v (version control command)

Posted Apr 30, 2018 03:14 PM

gbruneau  right now in my test AA environment .

i published some columns ans it went successfull....but during that time my app server service was off. now after successfull publish on bg and replicate to sb server....im now starting app sdm service but its not starting..iin logs its giving the following error.

do i need to replace these 3 files on app server from bg ?

:41.52 app            pdm_rfbroker_nxd     2400 SIGNIFICANT  ServerStatusMonitor.  1910 This server app (3143) has checksums ddict(2544110660) Majic(1908077924) wsp.mods(0)

• 5.  Re: clarification on pdm_server_control -v (version control command)

Posted Apr 30, 2018 04:27 PM

If you turned off version control for this server before the last service start then it wouldnt have copied the new files. Looking at the error message, youll need to copy ddict.sch and wsp.mod to this app server. I would guess that a simple restart would fix it though.

• 6.  Re: clarification on pdm_server_control -v (version control command)

Posted Apr 30, 2018 05:31 PM

Thanks