DX NetOps

• 1.  IP Route Manager

Posted May 01, 2018 09:28 AM

I've been doing some research on how to map our layer 3 network and found out Spectrum requires an extra appliance to map routing through the network.  I was under the impression that this could be done natively with the routing tables that we already get from layer 3 models.  Do we really need a REX connector just to build a routing topology?

• 2.  Re: IP Route Manager
    Best Answer

Posted May 02, 2018 07:36 AM

Yes, you really need REX to build a routing topology. REX listen for all messages exchanged by the devices (OSPF,ISIS,BGP) and is able to build the exact communication paths across your infrastructure. It also stores records on how the links were at a certain time in the past, so you can troubleshoot the connection problems after they occur. 

Routing table are just used in the discover connections sections of devices modeling. So you can see how devices are connected, but you only monitor L3 using traps received in Spectrum (BGP, ISIS, OSPF). You'll not be able to see the complete picture, but there is some information. 

• 3.  Re: IP Route Manager

Posted May 06, 2018 12:22 PM

Catalin, 

I dint tried this topology with Spectrum ,is there any docs available to startup?

• 4.  Re: IP Route Manager

Posted May 07, 2018 04:22 AM

The Spectrum documentation explains how the integration should be configured. Everything that you'll find in the documentation related with IP Routing Manger is actually related to REX. I recommend reading the entire section. I'll think most of the questions that you'll have will be answered.The documentation doesn't say much about the appliance and how it works, it only presents the Spectrum side of the integration. 

You'd actually need the REX device itself to see more about it. Once you setup the device in your environment, everything will be automatically processed into the Spectrum topology. In OneClick, under IP Routing Manager you'll see all the information that Spectrum will get from REX. You'd have to configure the appliance to send also traps to Spectrum.

If you think that this is something that you need, I can put you in contact with someone from PacketDesign, so you can at least maybe give it a try it.