Clarity

• 1.  Why can we select a user locked as Project Manager ?

Posted May 02, 2018 08:56 AM

I have a functional question on CA PPM. Why by default the lookup queries BROWSE_PROJMGR select the Active and locked users ?

I have updated the lookup on my system and removed the possibility to select an inactive user as PM on project.

BUT, I would like to know what is the functional reason in CA PPM for having the possibility to select a locked user as PM. It seems having no sense has a locked user can not be connected and so can not manage a project.

• 2.  Re: Why can we select a user locked as Project Manager ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2018 09:40 AM

A Locked user is still an Active resource: it just cannot log into CA PPM. Only Inactive users will get excluded. This state is generally temporary (e.g.: the user is still in the company and the resource is still needed in CA PPM).

If you would like to exclude a certain resource from being selected, you probably needed to inactivate it.

Hope this helps.

• 3.  Re: Why can we select a user locked as Project Manager ?

Posted May 03, 2018 08:52 AM

@ORAMEL  - did the info from Marc_Buigues help you out here?  I think there was confusion between a "Locked" user and an "Inactive" user.  As Marc explained, a "Locked" user is still active in the system, but their account is locked due to a password issue (typically), and thus they cannot physically log into PPM at that moment, however their account is still active.   "Inactive" users cannot be chosen within object.

If this information helped, please mark Marc's answer as correct as it will help others with similar questions.

Thanks!

Jon I. 

• 4.  Re: Why can we select a user locked as Project Manager ?

Posted May 03, 2018 12:17 PM

Thanks Marc for answer.

Why I would like to manage the selection of Project Manager only for active user ? for following reason :

- Because on our system we are using generic resource for managing Fixed price or other needs => Resource is active but locked => this resource can not be a Project Manager on a project

- Because of a bug in V13 fixed now in V14 : In V13, If you had an inactive resource on your project, it was no more possible to do a cost plan => the impact for us => we have lot of active resource which should be inactive as we don't have done a clean-up after our migration in order to align resource status.

- At only functional point of view, As CA PPM is the main tool for a Project Manager for managing projects, he must be able to connect to CA PPM and so I don't understand why in CAPPM we can select a user locked.

Before to implement in production my update on the lookup,  I would like to know if I'm still in the CA PPM spirit for project manager selection.

• 5.  Re: Why can we select a user locked as Project Manager ?
    Best Answer

Posted May 03, 2018 10:35 PM

Personally, I wouldn't be modifying an OOTB look-up.  It may be reverted back to original code in future upgrades.

We use 'locked users', in particular for resources like Project Sponsors, so that they can be recorded in Clarity and used on Project reports etc.  These users may never log into Clarity, so they are locked, where they don't take up a Clarity license.

Unclear why you are using a 'generic resource' on a Project, isn't that what a Role is for?

Agree that a Project Manager should be an unlocked/active user, but as previously explained, an account can be periodically locked (eg incorrect number of passwords exceeded), and will remain locked until corrected.

• 6.  Re: Why can we select a user locked as Project Manager ?

Posted May 04, 2018 02:27 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer. It's very clear.

About your question on generic user : We will use in the release the role but it will take time to on-board all users as we are using generic user since 15 years in Clarity. it's a big change management which will take times.

In the next release , we will use the OOTB functionality for resource/role management.

My issue is more on the old resource. I think that after this discussion, the best action to do is a clean up for old resource in order to have the good status (inactive it if needed).

Thanks all for your contribution.